Denver Broncos 16 @ Houston Texans 19
August 9th, 2008 - 6:00pm MST
Reliant Stadium - Houston, TX
* - With their 19-16 loss in Houston tonight, the Denver Broncos' all-time preseason record against the Texans stands at 4-1. The defeat was only the Broncos' third in a preseason opener under Head Coach Mike Shanahan (1995-Pres.), whose record in those games with Denver is 11-3 (.786).
* - Broncos T Ryan Clady, a 2008 first-round pick from Boise State University, became the first rookie in franchise history to start a preseason opener at either tackle position. Clady started the game at left tackle.
* - Broncos WR Eddie Royal, a 2008 second-round pick from Virginia Tech University, became the first rookie in franchise history to start a preseason opener at the wide receiver position. Royal made his NFL debut a play earlier, taking the game's opening kickoff back 21 yards.
* - Broncos LB Boss Bailey, S Marlon McCree and C Casey Wiegmann made their debuts with the club in the starting lineup.
WR Eddie Royal - Took the game's opening kickoff 21 yards and stayed in the game for the Broncos' first offensive play.
T Ryan Clady - Started on the Broncos' first-team offensive unit.
S Josh Barrett - Made his debut on the first-string punt team unit (first quarter). He started at safety to open the second half.
FB Spencer Larsen - Debuted on the kick return unit (first quarter).
CB Jack Williams - Debuted on the kickoff unit (first quarter). He tackled Texans WR André Davis on the return at the 29-yard line with 0:49 remaining in the first quarter for his first tackle. Williams started the second half on defense.
P Brett Kern - Made his debut as K Matt Prater's holder on an extra-point attempt (and make) in the first quarter. His first punt came in the third quarter, a 42-yarder.
RB Anthony Alridge - Had a 23-yard kickoff return on his first play in the second quarter with 9:33 remaining.
LB Wesley Woodyard - Debuted on the punt coverage unit in the second quarter, making the tackle on Texans P Matt Turk on a fake punt. Woodyard stopped Turk short of the first down at midfield.
WR Lorne Sam - Made his debut on the kickoff return unit in the third quarter.
T Tyler Polumbus - Debuted at right tackle on offense with 9:34 remaining in the third quarter. Polumbus recovered a fumble by Alridge on his second play.
G Mitch Erickson - Debuted at right guard on offense with 9:34 remaining in the third quarter.
C Kory Lichtensteiger - Made his debut at right guard on offense with 6:57 remaining in the third quarter.
* - Broncos QB Jay Cutler started the game and saw time in Denver's first two offensive possessions (15 total plays) before he was replaced by QB Patrick Ramsey. Cutler completed 8-of-10 passes for 59 yards (91.2 rtg.) and scored on a 15-yard touchdown run.
* - The Broncos' first scoring drive of the game (15-yd. Cutler TD run) covered 74 yards on 12 plays and lasted 6:09. Cutler completed passes to four different Broncos (2-20 to RB Selvin Young, 2-13 to Royal, 1-7 to TE Daniel Graham and 1-10 to TE Nate Jackson) on the drive and completed 8-of-9 passing attempts for 59 yards before his 15-yard touchdown run.
* - Patrick Ramsey played in five series, completing 6-of-11 passes for 32 yards with two interceptions. One of his interceptions was thrown on a Hail Mary pass as time expired in the first half.
* - QB Darrell Hackney replaced Ramsey with 2:54 remaining in the third quarter and finished the game, completing 4-of-7 passes for 62 yards. He led the Broncos on an 8-play, 72-yard scoring drive that resulted in a 26-yard, game-tying field goal by Prater with 5:50 remaining in the game.
* - Denver held a significant time-of-possession advantage in the first half, leading 19:22 to 10:38 in that category.
* - Alridge (4-20 rushing, 3-20 receiving, 1-23 kickoff returns), a University of Houston product, averaged 7.9 yards per play (8-63) for Denver.
* - Woodyard posted a game-high eight tackles (all solo) on defense and added one stop on special teams.
* - LB Jordan Beck and CB Christian Morton each had one sack for Denver, which did not allow a sack on offense.
* - Eleven different Broncos caught at least one pass, including TE Tony Scheffler (3-47).
* - Turnover Ratio: The Broncos finished the game with a -1 turnover ratio (1 takeaway, 2 giveaways). FB Cecil Sapp had Denver's lone takeaway on a fumble recovery on a punt return while Ramsey threw two interceptions.
LB Boss Bailey (sprained right ankle, 13:08 1st qtr., did not return), LB Louis Green (neck injury/concussion, 9:06 1st qtr., out-taken to local hospital). Green was released from the hospital and accompanied the Broncos on their flight back to Denver.