Dallas Cowboys 13 @ Denver Broncos 23
August 16th, 2008 - 7:00pm MST
Invesco Field @ Mile High
* - QB Jay Cutler completed his first 12 passes for 142 yards while leading Denver on two touchdown drives to begin the first half. His string was broken by an incomplete pass intended for Broncos RB Andre Hall in the second quarter (7:20 remaining). Cutler's longest streak of consecutive completions in an NFL game is 11, which he did twice last year (vs. Minnesota 12/30/07 and vs. Jacksonville 9/23/07). That was the longest consecutive completion streak by a Broncos QB in any game since Jake Plummer completed 16 consecutive passes vs. Detroit on 9/28/03.
* - Cutler played the entire first half (5 series, 36 plays). He completed 16-of-20 passes for 178 yards and a touchdown with a passer rating of 120.4. Cutler spread the ball around to seven different Broncos receivers.
* - Cutler led the Broncos on a 9-play, 65-yard touchdown drive on the game's opening possession that lasted 5:17 and culminated with Hall's 1-yard touchdown run. Cutler was 5-of-5 on the drive for 61 yards for a 117.5 passer rating, completing passes to four different Broncos (WR Brandon Marshall 2-16, WR Eddie Royal 1-35, WR Brandon Stokley 1-8, FB Cecil Sapp 1-2).
* - The Broncos' Hall converted a fourth-and-1 on the Dallas 7-yard line on Denver's opening touchdown drive. The conversion was Denver's first fourth-down attempt and conversion of the 2008 preseason.
* - Denver's starting wide receivers, Marshall and Royal, combined for six catches for 104 yards and a touchdown during the Broncos' first two drives. Royal had two long receptions of 32 and 35 yards and Marshall scored on a 3-yard touchdown reception in the second drive. Marshall finished the first half with six receptions for 59 yards and a touchdown. Royal had two receptions for 67 yards.
* - Seven different Broncos receivers finished with at least two receptions (Marshall, 6-51 TD; WR Brandon Stokley, 3-34; WR Clifford Russell, 3-28; Royal, 2-67; WR Keary Colbert, 2-30; RB Cecil Sapp, 2-12; TE Nate Jackson, 2-11).
* - Broncos QB Patrick Ramsey completed 8-of-13 passes for 67 yards in four series of work in the second half.
* - Dallas DE Marcus Smith's fourth quarter sack of Broncos QB Darrell Hackney snapped Denver's seven-quarter streak of not allowing a sack to open the preseason. The Broncos have given up one sack though their first two preseason games.
* - The Broncos dominated in time of possession in the first half owning an 18:50-11:10 advantage. They finished the game with a 33:07-26:53 advantage.
* - Denver's defense held the Cowboys to 128 net yards in the first half on 25 plays from scrimmage (5.1 yards per play). The defense also held Dallas to 0-of-5 on third down conversions in the second half and 4-of-12 (33.3 percent) for the game.
* - Denver was 2-of-2 in the red zone (1 rushing TD, 1 receiving TD) in the first half.
* - Denver capitalized on a sloppy game by Dallas penalty-wise. The Cowboys had nine penalties for 78 yards, including two personal fouls. Four of Dallas' penalties led to Denver first downs.
* - Broncos K Matt Prater kicked off six times, with four of his kickoffs resulting in touchbacks. For the second consecutive game Prater connected on 3-of-4 field goal attempts. He is 6-of-8 so far this preseason.
* - Broncos CB Domonique Foxworth recorded six total tackles, all solo, to lead the Broncos.
* - Punting Battle: Broncos P Brett Kern had two punts for a 57.5 average (long of 63), one of which resulted in a touchback. P Sam Paulescu had two punts for a 50.0 average (long of 57) with one punt inside the 20. Kern had a 36-yard gain (miscellaneous yardage) on an aborted punt in the second half after scooping up his punt which was blocked by Dallas RB Tashard Choice. The resulting first down led to a 29-yard field goal by Prater.
* - Turnover Ratio: The Broncos finished the game with a +1 turnover ratio, posting one takeaway (INT) and no giveaways. Rookie CB Jack Williams' fourth quarter interception led to a Prater field foal.
* - Broncos Starting Lineup Changes: LB Jamie Winborn started in place of LB Boss Bailey (injury) at the strongside linebacker position. Foxworth started in place of CB Champ Bailey (injury). C Casey Wiegmann started in place of C Tom Nalen (injury). Royal started in place of WR Darrell Jackson (injury).
* - Broncos injury report: TE Daniel Graham (hamstring, first half, did not return).