I realize that this point in the season is one in which most fans are either overly optimistic or far too pessamistic and I wouldn't pressume to be above that. Instead, I just wanted to present some of my feelings for you guys to help me. I know most of you have properties in La-La Land, so I'll take the opposite approach because I'm comfortable as a devil's advocate. So, without further ado, here are my concerns in a position by position format:
- QB: Cutler is a superstar in the making, but we have basically no depth behind him.
- RB: There's definitely depth here, but there isn't a true franchise back in the bunch,
- FB: I love Peyton Hillis, but I wonder if incorporating a FB into our offense isn't a step backwards in our system's progression.
- WR: Royal's rapid ascent on our depth chart speaks to his skills, but it also exposes his competition as wanting.
- TE: Scheffler's never healthy and Graham's still basically a 6th lineman at this point.
- OL: Not much experience up front and major injury questions marks for those veterans there is worrisome.
- DE: The youngsters don't seem to be stepping up and Doom seems to be on his own again.
- DT: Not loving the depth here and the overall talent is not much better. Robertson's health and Thomas' developement are both musts and suspect.
- LB: Webster failed on the outside last year and now he's at the heart of our D. Boss' back-up will likely see some time and can't be very good.
- CB: Can we trust Bly opposite of Champ? How will those burried in the depth chart by those two vets respond to limited playing time and stiff competition?
- S: McCree might be the new Lynch and I don't think we've found the answer opposite him.
- ST: I'm liking the depth for the coverage teams, but young kickers and punters usually struggle unless they're studs.
Well, I feel that's about as negative as I can be at this time. Honestly (and I've said this often) I think this squad should be good enough for a winning record and will challenge for a Wild Card. Overall, I'm worried by our defense (especially up the middle) and I fear that we may be in for another frustrating year insomuch as a couple more playmakers on that side of the ball would make us legit contenders. So, tell me where I'm wrong; I'd be happy to hear it! Cheers!