For thoughts on the game from a Cardinals perspective, visit Revenge of the Birds!!
* - Broncos RB Anthony Alridge gained 43 yards on seven carries in the first quarter, exceeding Denver’s first quarter team rushing totals from each of the team’s first three preseason games (18, 35, 36). Alridge finished the first half with 12 carries for 79 yards (6.6 avg.)—his 79 yards were greater than the first half totals by Denver in two of its three preseason games.
* - Alridge’s 27-yard run in the second quarter marked the longest run by a Broncos player this preseason.
* - Denver’s starting defense held Arizona’s first-string offense to just 42 total yards and two first downs in two possessions.
* - The Broncos enjoyed a 141-32 advantage in rushing yards in the first half. The Broncos’ defense held the Cardinals to a 2.7-yard average on 12 rushes.
* - With two fumble recoveries by the Broncos, Denver now has four takeaways in the preseason (3 FR, 1 INT). Denver’s turnover ratio stands at +1 (4 takeaways, 3 giveaways) for the preseason.
* - For the second time this preseason, the Broncos held their opponent scoreless in the first quarter (Dallas).
* - First Starts: With Denver starters out of pads, the following Broncos players made their NFL debuts in the starting lineup: C Kory Lichtensteiger, FB Peyton Hillis, T Tyler Polumbus, RB Anthony Alridge, LB Wesley Woodyard and S Roderick Rogers.
* - With his 32-yard field goal in the first quarter, Broncos K Matt Prater improved to 8-of-10 on field goals this preseason. He has also connected on five consecutiove field goals dating to the second preseason game (Dallas).
* - Coin Toss: With starters out of pads, the Broncos sent the following four players to midfield for the pregame coin toss: CB Domonique Foxworth, QB Darrell Hackney, LB Niko Koutouvides and QB Patrick Ramsey.
* - With his 1-yard touchdown run in the second quarter, Broncos RB Michael Pittman scored his second touchdown of the preseason, in a homecoming of sorts. Pittman was drafted by the Cardinals in the fourth round (95th overall) of the 1998 NFL Draft and played his first four seasons with the franchise.
* - Punting Battle: Denver alternated its two punters in the first half against Arizona. P Sam Paulescu had the first crack, booting a 48-yard punt which went out of bounds at the Arizona 7-yard line. P Brett Kern had Denver’s second punt and booted a 41-yarder which went out of bounds at the Arizona 10-yard line. Paulescu’s second punt traveled 41 yards (net 36).
* - QB Darrell Hackney, making his first preseason start since 2007 (vs. Arizona 8/30/07), completed 9-of-13 passes for 57 yards in the first half (78.0 passer rating). He also had four rushes for 40 yards.
First Half Stats Look Like This --