With the #4 pick in the 2009 MHR Community Mock Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select....
OT, EUGENE MONROE, VIRGINIA
Round 1, Pick #4 overall
GM Denver Native
Details of the pick after the jump...
From GM Denver Native: [Note: the pick has been submitted via Denver Native's Vice GM whiskey chainsaw]: For the first time in a decade plus, the Hawks have a huge question mark at Left Tackle. Walter Jones is aging and underwent microfracture surgery in the offseason. While he is projected to return, it has been a rare thing for the Hawks to be at the top of the draft, and the team needs to take full advantage of the pick and get a guy who will be a long term starter for the team.
Enter Monroe. While he may be the most ready LT of the "big four" he also may very well be able to step in at Guard while Walter plays out a final year or two. No other player worthy of a top 4 pick has the versatility to come in and help the team immediately in multiple spots. There has been a lot of talk of the sexiness of adding a Crabtree or Stafford, but the fact of the matter is those are risk picks, and the Hawks like sure things from a character standpoint and a performance one.
In regard to a need for a pass rushing LB, the team already has one, in franchised LB Leroy Hill. Leroy will return to his natural SAM position and the Hawks will fill in the WILL backer through players already on the team or later in the draft with a wealth of midrange draftable backers available.
Great teams have great lines, and the last great Seahawks team--some would say the only great Seahawk team-- had 3 all pro offensive linemen. Since then, Steve Hutchinson left a gap that has never been replaced, Reggie Toebeck retired after a great career, and Walter Jones is closer to his retirement than his elite level years. The pick is obvious, OL, and Eugene Monroe is the most appropriate player for the 4th slot in the draft.
Commish's Thoughts: This is a solid pick that will help the 'Hawks out for years to come. While a trade down would be an excellent move as well, you certainly can't argue with the versatility of this pick in shoring up the Seahawks oline. Thanks to whiskeychainsaw for jumping in with the pick for the Seahawks front office just before the deadline expired.
ON THE CLOCK
Cleveland Browns are up next.
The deadline for this pick is 5pm MST, March 23rd. As long as I receive the pick by that time it will be valid. To send me the pick, just email me at the address shown in my profile.
Round 1, Pick #5 Overall
- Detroit Lions: McDah OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- St.Louis Rams: 53guys OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- Kansas City Chiefs: Papisan DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- Seattle Seahawks: Denver_Native OT, Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Cleveland Browns: Zappa ONTHE CLOCK
- Cincinnati Bengals: DukeTC ON DECK
- Oakland Raiders: V. Money
- Jacksonville Jaguars: gunnermc
- Green Bay Packers: Broncosorbust
- San Francisco 49ers: Elway's Ghost
- Buffalo Bills: Rep56
- Denver Broncos: broncofan91
- Washington Redskins: Chawkins06
- New Orleans Saints: gnarlybroncodude
- Houston Texans: PredominantlyOrange
- San Diego Chargers: Sadaraine
- New York Jets: danelama
- Chicago Bears: Combat Chuk
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OrangeCrush4082
- (Dallas Cowboys) Lions: BDAWKisaBRONC
- Philadelphia Eagles: ejruiz
- Minnesota Vikings: War Eagle Aubie
- New England Patriots bronco-Maine-iac
- Atlanta Falcons: Stovie47
- Miami Dolphins: adamriggs
- Baltimore Ravens mla2131
- Indianapolis Colts: chikndnnr
- (Carolina Panthers) Eagles: bcfunk
- New York Giants: Russ
- Tennessee Titans: Broncoman
- Arizona Cardinals: Calibroncoboy
- Pittsburgh Steelers: PABroncofan