With the #7 pick in the 2009 MHR Community Mock Draft, the Oakland Raiders select....
DT, B.J. Raji, Boston College
Round 1, Pick #7 overall
GM V. Money
Details of the pick after the jump...
From GM V. Money: Since there were no takers to my offers to trade down, the Raiders will more than happily cut their losses by picking the best player available. Okay, so technically, the best player available is probably Matt Stafford, but until the A-11 offense gets implemented in the NFL, giving JaMarcus Russell competition this high up is a tremendous waste of money. Luckily, their run defense is downright atrocious, and Raji has slipped down far enough in the draft to fall right into my board. In the end, it came down to B.J. and Everette Brown, but Raji is more talented and more ready to contribute right away. In retrospect, it is really a process of elimination.
Commish's Thoughts: I'm torn on this pick, but I certainly don't think the Raiders should be chasing after the OT leavings at this point. A trade back made the most sense, and I know the phone lines were red-hot with deals trying to go through, but in the end, it looks like oakland karma caught up with V, which is always the danger of trying to pick for them. Luckily V's free consolation prizes, including soap and barf-bags, should get him through this tough time...
ON THE CLOCK
The Jacksonville Jaguars are up next. Things are starting to get very interesting, with most of the sure top five guys off the board. Deliberations should be intense, and trade talks should be heating up.
The deadline for this pick is Noon MST, March 25th. As long as I receive the pick by that time it will be valid. To send me the pick, just email me at the address shown in my profile.
Round 1, Pick #8 Overall
- Detroit Lions: McDah OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- St.Louis Rams: 53guys OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- Kansas City Chiefs: Papisan DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- Seattle Seahawks: Denver_Native OT, Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Cleveland Browns: Zappa WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
- Cincinnati Bengals: DukeTC OT, Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Oakland Raiders: V. Money DT/NT, BJ Raji, Boston College
- Jacksonville Jaguars: gunnermc ON THE CLOCK
- Green Bay Packers: Broncosorbust ON DECK
- San Francisco 49ers: Elway's Ghost
- Buffalo Bills: Rep56
- Denver Broncos: broncofan91
- Washington Redskins: Chawkins06
- New Orleans Saints: gnarlybroncodude
- Houston Texans: PredominantlyOrange
- San Diego Chargers: Sadaraine
- New York Jets: danelama
- Chicago Bears: Combat Chuk
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OrangeCrush4082
- (Dallas Cowboys) Lions: BDAWKisaBRONC
- Philadelphia Eagles: ejruiz
- Minnesota Vikings: War Eagle Aubie
- New England Patriots bronco-Maine-iac
- Atlanta Falcons: Stovie47
- Miami Dolphins: adamriggs
- Baltimore Ravens mla2131
- Indianapolis Colts: chikndnnr
- (Carolina Panthers) Eagles: bcfunk
- New York Giants: Russ
- Tennessee Titans: Broncoman
- Arizona Cardinals: Calibroncoboy
- Pittsburgh Steelers: PABroncofan
How did V. do on the pick?
Its spooky! Its almost as if Al reached out with his nefarious powers and clutched V. Money's soul! (29 votes)
Its eerie! Its as if Al's hand has shot out of his crypt to tug on the ankle of V. Money's conscience! (15 votes)
Wait...Which answer means I didn't like the pick? (133 votes)
177 total votes