With the #9 pick in the 2009 MHR Community Mock Draft, the Green Bay Packers select....
OLB, CLAY MATTHEWS, USC
Green Bay Packers
Round 1, Pick #9 overall
Details of the pick after the jump...
From GM Broncosorbust: Since 2 of the top offensive tackles are off the board and Raji is gone also, I had to try and improve what was a dismal pass rush last year.
Matthew is 6’3 240 lbs, so he has perfect size to play and strong side linebacker and make opposing quaterbacks a little less comfortable in the pocket. Hes not quite as fast as Curry running about a 4.67 40 but he makes up for it in size and strength and has proven to be a durable player.
Commish's Thoughts: I am fascinated by Matthews going in the first round, let alone in the top ten. Is it the pedigree? Is it the work ethic? Only the GM can say, but it is interesting to think that a franchise steeped in tradition would go to that well to improve, and there are legitimate concerns for overlooking Cushing. All in all a surprising pick, with the potential to turn this draft on its head.
ON THE CLOCK
SanFrancisco 49ers are up next. Still lots of stellar talent on the board,a nd the niners could go lots of different ways. Will both top QBs go in the top ten? Will Maualuga, Moreno and Malcolm all make it to Denver's pick? Stay tuned, this mock is just getting started!
The deadline for this pick is Midnight MST, March 26th. As long as I receive the pick by that time it will be valid. To send me the pick, just email me at the address shown in my profile.
San Francisco 49ers
Round 1, Pick #10 Overall
GM Elway's Ghost
- Detroit Lions: McDah OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- St.Louis Rams: 53guys OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- Kansas City Chiefs: Papisan DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- Seattle Seahawks: Denver_Native OT, Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Cleveland Browns: Zappa WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
- Cincinnati Bengals: DukeTC OT, Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Oakland Raiders: V. Money DT/NT, BJ Raji, Boston College
- Jacksonville Jaguars: gunnermc QB, Matt Stafford, Georgia
- Green Bay Packers: Broncosorbust OLB, Clay Matthews, USC
- San Francisco 49ers: Elway's Ghost ON THE CLOCK
- Buffalo Bills: Rep56 ON DECK
- Denver Broncos: broncofan91
- Washington Redskins: Chawkins06
- New Orleans Saints: gnarlybroncodude
- Houston Texans: PredominantlyOrange
- San Diego Chargers: Sadaraine
- New York Jets: danelama
- Chicago Bears: Combat Chuk
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OrangeCrush4082
- (Dallas Cowboys) Lions: BDAWKisaBRONC
- Philadelphia Eagles: ejruiz
- Minnesota Vikings: War Eagle Aubie
- New England Patriots bronco-Maine-iac
- Atlanta Falcons: Stovie47
- Miami Dolphins: adamriggs
- Baltimore Ravens mla2131
- Indianapolis Colts: chikndnnr
- (Carolina Panthers) Eagles: bcfunk
- New York Giants: Russ
- Tennessee Titans: Broncoman
- Arizona Cardinals: Calibroncoboy
- Pittsburgh Steelers: PABroncofan
What do you think of the pick?
Very interesting. I like the move. (25 votes)
Intriguing. What about Cushing? (73 votes)
Daffy. Yoiks and away! (114 votes)
212 total votes