With the #10 pick in the 2009 MHR Community Mock Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select....
DE/OLB, EVERETTE BROWN, FLORIDA ST.
San Francisco 49ers
Round 1, Pick #10 overall
GM Elway's Ghost
Details of the pick after the jump...
From GM Elway's Ghost: Tough spot for SF if the draft shakes out this way. Sanchez may be tempting, but he shouldn’t be: an injury plagued (negative points) underclassman (negative pints) USC (negative points) QB that only started 16 college games (negative points) and whose coach didn’t even think he was ready (negative points), does not spell potential franchise QB. It spells probable bust. SF also needs O-line help, but the highest-rated prospects are all off the table and I don’t see Singletary taking on the head case (and man-breasts) that is Andre Smith. CB and WR also don’t offer enough value here IMO. Because of all the holes this team, trading back to acquire picks is probably the best option, but that proved impossible in this context.
Given all of that, I think SF would go defense and try to add some pop to their pass-rush. Singletary’s history tells me he wants his D to be Nasty with a capital “N” and to do that you have to be able to knock the QB on his butt. With the choices still on the board, I think the pick has to be Everett Brown (6’4’’ and about 250 lbs) out of Fla. St. He’s raw, having only started one year in college but with 13.5 sacks in 2008 and a total of 23 during his college career, he’s shown enough flash to merit the pick. I envision him starting out the season at the 3rd down OLB, but would hope his size/speed numbers and Singletary’s influence speed the transition to 3-down OLB. Although this pick certainly has its risks (Vernon Gholston anyone?) the potential payoff (i.e., DeMarcus Ware-type player) is well worth it in my opinion.
Commish's Thoughts: I lke the reasoned approach to passing on Sanchez here, and I like the GM's attempt to get into Singletary's head, because there is no doubt that Mike's energy and image are going to be imprinted on this team, or he is going to die trying. The pick itself is solid, as Brown is easily a top ten talent in this draft. It also keeps the pressure on the middle of the first round to do their homework, because the Outside rush packages are being depleted at an alarming rate.
ON THE CLOCK
Buffalo Bills are up next. The Bills really needed help at the outside rush, and must have been hoping that the Niners would bite the Sanchez bait. With Brown off the board, where will the Bills look for help?
The deadline for this pick is Noon MST, March 27th. As long as I receive the pick by that time it will be valid. To send me the pick, just email me at the address shown in my profile.
Round 1, Pick #11 Overall
- Detroit Lions: McDah OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- St.Louis Rams: 53guys OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- Kansas City Chiefs: Papisan DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- Seattle Seahawks: Denver_Native OT, Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Cleveland Browns: Zappa WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
- Cincinnati Bengals: DukeTC OT, Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Oakland Raiders: V. Money DT/NT, BJ Raji, Boston College
- Jacksonville Jaguars: gunnermc QB, Matt Stafford, Georgia
- Green Bay Packers: Broncosorbust OLB, Clay Matthews, USC
- San Francisco 49ers: Elway's Ghost DE/OLB, Everette Brown, Florida St.
- Buffalo Bills: Rep56 ON THE CLOCK
- Denver Broncos: broncofan91 ON DECK
- Washington Redskins: Chawkins06
- New Orleans Saints: gnarlybroncodude
- Houston Texans: PredominantlyOrange
- San Diego Chargers: Sadaraine
- New York Jets: danelama
- Chicago Bears: Combat Chuk
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OrangeCrush4082
- (Dallas Cowboys) Lions: BDAWKisaBRONC
- Philadelphia Eagles: ejruiz
- Minnesota Vikings: War Eagle Aubie
- New England Patriots bronco-Maine-iac
- Atlanta Falcons: Stovie47
- Miami Dolphins: adamriggs
- Baltimore Ravens mla2131
- Indianapolis Colts: chikndnnr
- (Carolina Panthers) Eagles: bcfunk
- New York Giants: Russ
- Tennessee Titans: Broncoman
- Arizona Cardinals: Calibroncoboy
- Pittsburgh Steelers: PABroncofan
What do you think of the Ghost's pick?
Solid move, and he didn't even need to drop his pants to make his point. (84 votes)
Risky move, Brown is hardly guaranteed, adn their were better options. (56 votes)
Bad move. The niners shopped for Warner for a reason, they can't pass up Sanchez. (77 votes)
217 total votes