With the #15 pick in the 2009 MHR Community Mock Draft, the Houston Texans select....
WR, JEREMY MACLIN, MISSOURI
Round 1, Pick #15 overall
Details of the pick after the jump...
From GM PredominantlyOrange: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri: With the Top 4 OLB’s off the board, and decent depth in the draft for OLB’s, DE’s and CB’s, the Texans can’t pass on arguably the most electrifying offensive player in the draft. While upside projects like Sean Smith and Connor Barwin were enticing, and consistent the with the Texans’ Shannahanesque belief in upside and the power of coaching— the collective wisdom across the league is that this team is a playmaker or two away from breaking through to the elite level in the AFC. Maclin can change an NFL game tomorrow while Smith and Barwin are likely a year or two away from being legitimate impact players. You have to actually break through before you can start acting like you already have, which makes a ‘reach’ for either Smith or Barwin a luxury Houston cannot yet afford. True, bigger needs exist on the other side of the ball, but with Maclin aboard, the Texans offense and return game can make the move from very good to elite and make emerging superstars like Andre Johnson, Steve Slaton and Owen Daniels even bigger headaches for opposing defensive coordinators. Unlike the Broncos, the Texans already have a defense that gives them a chance to win most weeks and they therefore cannot ignore the value Maclin presents at #15. Once Cushing came off the board, I would have liked to try to trade back—perhaps dangle the possibility of drafting Andre Smith in front of the Eagles—but couldn’t figure out how to contact that particular GM. Had I pulled that off, my target would be Conner Barwin, hands down, as I see him as a potential roving pest that used properly can elevate the production of Mario Williams to an even higher level. However, at 15-- especially with Maclin on the board-- Barwin is simply too big of reach and too big of gamble for the oh-so-close Texans to make.
Commish's Thoughts: I applaud the GM for not reaching on Vontae Davis here, and I appreciate his non-gambling approach. I for one like to imagine Andre Johnson, one of the league "white hats", with another downfield threat taking pressure away from him. It is slightly dangerous, however, as 'Dre may be like one of those deep sea fish: if he doesn't have all that pressure keeping him together, he might just explode, with bits of elite playmaker going everywhere. Then all the pressure would be on Maclin.
ON THE CLOCK
San diego Chargers are up next. April Fool's day seems apropos for everyone's favorite team to be making their pick. But wills Sadaraine play the fool? Tope end talents like Maualuga and Moreno haven't gotten so much as a sniff, so stay tuned to see if that changes.
The deadline for this pick is Noon MST, April 1st. As long as I receive the pick by that time it will be valid. To send me the pick, just email me at the address shown in my profile.
San diego Chargers
Round 1, Pick #16 Overall
- Detroit Lions: McDah OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- St.Louis Rams: 53guys OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- Kansas City Chiefs: Papisan DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- Seattle Seahawks: Denver_Native OT, Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Cleveland Browns: Zappa WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
- Cincinnati Bengals: DukeTC OT, Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Oakland Raiders: V. Money DT/NT, BJ Raji, Boston College
- Jacksonville Jaguars: gunnermc QB, Matt Stafford, Georgia
- Green Bay Packers: Broncosorbust OLB, Clay Matthews, USC
- San Francisco 49ers: Elway's Ghost DE/OLB, Everette Brown, Florida St.
- Buffalo Bills: Rep56 TE, Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St.
Denver Broncos: broncofan91 OLB, Brian Cushing, USC
- Washington Redskins: Chawkins06 DE Aaron Maybin, Penn St.
- New Orleans Saints: gnarlybroncodude DB, Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St.
- Houston Texans: PredominantlyOrange WR, Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
- San Diego Chargers: Sadaraine ON THE CLOCK
- New York Jets: danelama ON DECK
- Chicago Bears: Combat Chuk
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OrangeCrush4082
- (Dallas Cowboys) Lions: BDAWKisaBRONC
- Philadelphia Eagles: ejruiz
- Minnesota Vikings: War Eagle Aubie
- New England Patriots bronco-Maine-iac
- Atlanta Falcons: Stovie47
- Miami Dolphins: adamriggs
- Baltimore Ravens mla2131
- Indianapolis Colts: chikndnnr
- (Carolina Panthers) Eagles: bcfunk
- New York Giants: Russ
- Tennessee Titans: Broncoman
- Arizona Cardinals: Calibroncoboy
- Pittsburgh Steelers: PABroncofan
Have the Texans made the right move?
The move is good, and will elevate the Texans already underrated offense. (44 votes)
The move is so-so, but the GM is underrating the abilities of some of the defensive picks here. (30 votes)
Bad move. There were two good corners available and they shouldn't be passed up. (40 votes)
114 total votes