With the #30 pick in the 2009 MHR Community Mock Draft, the Tennessee Titans select....
DE/DT, JARRON GILBERT, SAN JOSE ST.
Round 1, Pick #30 overall
Details of the pick after the jump...
From GM Broncoman: Before all those who will say why pass on guys like Tyson Jackson, Alex Mack, and Robert Ayers, I did some thinking regarding the Titans situation. Losing Albert Haynesworth was a sevre blow to the Titans front line, that being said, there is not a player with Haynesworth's abilities at 30 or in this draft for that matter. In evaluating Jackson, though he could likely be a productive DT in the 4-3, there was limited upside for him in that position, he lacks pass rushing explosion or quickness to be nothing more than a run stuffing DT. Robert Ayers again is limited in size and speed and lacks burst and would serve as a run stuffing DE, Tennessee already has plenty of those guys. So the pick came down between Alex Mack the best interior line prospect in the draft who would be able to learn from one of the games best in Kevin Mawae, who at 38 is likely playing his last season, and Gilbert, a physical freak who has potentially the biggest upside of any defensive line prospect in the draft. I chose Gilbert do to his ability to play multiple positions in a 4-3, he has the best penetration of any DT proposect and excellent speed with 4.81 - 40 yard speed, he could also be an effective DE. He also has a frame that can add for weight if needed being 6' 5", he squats 650, which for the length of his legs, is incrediable. His youtube video shows his lower body power and explosion. He obviously will need time to develop as his technique is lacking and he will be facing much stiffer competition in the NFL. His perfromance in the East-West shrine game showed he can step up to high competition and I would expect at the end of the season he will be starting. In Gilbert, I see a player very similar to Trevor Pryce who was too quick for guards and too powerfull for OT to handle, but needed some time to develop. Though Alex Mack may have been the safer pick, I think that a good center can be found later on in the draft. I had orginally looked at adding a WR here like Harvin, but all the 1st round talented WR (IMO) were off the board.
Commish's Thoughts: Broncoman makes a very strong case, and Tennessee is a good place with good coaching for a player like Jarron to hunker down and work on his game. The likelihood of him having an immediate impact is pretty low, and I would worry about him being a bust in the wrong situation, but Tennessee is probably not that situation. They can bring him along slowly, and get maximum potential out of one of the highest "upside" players.
ON THE CLOCK
Arizona Cardinals are up next. Superbowl runners -up have their beady little eye ont eh rings for the next go around, but how much help will they get fromt he draft? Stay tuned to find out.
The deadline for this pick is NOON, MST, April 11th.. As long as I receive the pick by that time it will be valid. To send me the pick, just email me at the address shown in my profile.
Round 1, Pick #31 Overall
- Detroit Lions: McDah OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- St.Louis Rams: 53guys OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- Kansas City Chiefs: Papisan DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- Seattle Seahawks: Denver_Native OT, Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Cleveland Browns: Zappa WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
- Cincinnati Bengals: DukeTC OT, Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Oakland Raiders: V. Money DT/NT, BJ Raji, Boston College
- Jacksonville Jaguars: gunnermc QB, Matt Stafford, Georgia
- Green Bay Packers: Broncosorbust OLB, Clay Matthews, USC
- San Francisco 49ers: Elway's Ghost DE/OLB, Everette Brown, Florida St.
- Buffalo Bills: Rep56 TE, Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St.
Denver Broncos: broncofan91 OLB, Brian Cushing, USC
- Washington Redskins: Chawkins06 DE Aaron Maybin, Penn St.
- New Orleans Saints: gnarlybroncodude DB, Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St.
- Houston Texans: PredominantlyOrange WR, Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
- San Diego Chargers: Sadaraine ILB, Rey Maualuga, USC
- New York Jets: danelama QB, Mark Sanchez, USC
- Denver Broncos (from Chicago): Combat Chuk RB, Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OrangeCrush4082 QB, Josh Freeman, Kansas St.
- (Dallas Cowboys) Lions: BDAWKisaBRONC OT, Andre Smith, Alabama
- Philadelphia Eagles: ejruiz WR, Hakeem Nicks, UNC
- Minnesota Vikings: War Eagle Aubie WR, Percy Harvin, Florida
- New England Patriots bronco-Maine-iac LB, James Laurinaitis, OSU
- Atlanta Falcons: Stovie47 DT/DE, Peria Jerry, Ole Miss
- Miami Dolphins: adamriggs CB, Sean Smith, Utah
- Baltimore Ravens mla2131 CB, Vontae Davis, Illinois
- Indianapolis Colts: chikndnn DT, "Ziggy" Hood, Missouri
- (Carolina Panthers) Eagles: bcfunk RB, Chris Wells, Ohio St.
- New York Giants: Russ WR, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
- Tennessee Titans: Broncoman DT/DE, Jarron Gilbert, San Jose St.
- Arizona Cardinals: Calibroncoboy ON THE CLOCK
- Pittsburgh Steelers: PABroncofan ON DECK
What do you think of Jarron's chances in the NFL.
He is a freak of nature who will have a major impact. (44 votes)
In the right situation, he could blossom into a solid player. (113 votes)
He is a huge risk and will likely bust. (50 votes)
207 total votes