With the #20 pick in the 2009 MHR Community Mock Draft, the Detroit Lions (via Dallas Cowboys) select....
OT, ANDRE SMITH, ALABAMA
Detroit Lions (via Dallas Cowboys)
Round 1, Pick #20 overall
Details of the pick after the jump...
From GM BDAWKisaBRONC: After the acquisition of Julian Peterson and the pick of Aaron Curry to go along with Ernie Sims, I think it is time to address a 27th ranked offense(in points). We have young talent at our defensive line with Avrill and White rushing the quarterback and Grady Jackson stops the run. Smith is a huge, at 6'4'' 330 we are desperate for a franchise left tackle. After the selection of Godser Cherilus last year, we are hoping these two talents can be our bookend tackles. We have the running back and Calvin, however, we feel a need to provide a good offensive line to a qb and running back or they're talent will be useless. We saw what happened to David Carr, Alex Smith, and J.P Losman without protection upfront. Smith(Andre) is a top ten talent, we need a tackle, and we will not pass on this talent; he is currently the highest on my board as well.
In regard to his "bad pass protection footwork", we are looking to run the football a lot next year, we ran the ball very effectively in Tennesse, we look to add a power back this draft and need big guys up front to pave the way. Andre has played in NFL's best compititon, and is a winner, and will be a great addition to this team.
Commish's Thoughts: Well that worked out pretty nicely for Detroit I think. After passing up the top offensive tackle, and taking their chances on the top Defensive player, The Lions must have been hoping for one of the good OTs or QBs to slip to them. With Freeman going just one pick in front of them, they are freed up to make the simple, savvy choice. Andre Smith won't get red carpet treatment, but he shouldn't need it either, and hopefully he will be rocksolid for them in their efforts to rebuild.
ON THE CLOCK
Philadelphia Eagles are up next. The eagles have two shots in the first round, just like Detroit did, so hopefully they get the first one right and keep the momentum going.
The deadline for this pick is MIDNIGHT MST, April 5th (tomorrow night).. As long as I receive the pick by that time it will be valid. To send me the pick, just email me at the address shown in my profile.
Round 1, Pick #21 Overall
- Detroit Lions: McDah OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- St.Louis Rams: 53guys OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- Kansas City Chiefs: Papisan DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- Seattle Seahawks: Denver_Native OT, Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Cleveland Browns: Zappa WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
- Cincinnati Bengals: DukeTC OT, Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Oakland Raiders: V. Money DT/NT, BJ Raji, Boston College
- Jacksonville Jaguars: gunnermc QB, Matt Stafford, Georgia
- Green Bay Packers: Broncosorbust OLB, Clay Matthews, USC
- San Francisco 49ers: Elway's Ghost DE/OLB, Everette Brown, Florida St.
- Buffalo Bills: Rep56 TE, Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St.
Denver Broncos: broncofan91 OLB, Brian Cushing, USC
- Washington Redskins: Chawkins06 DE Aaron Maybin, Penn St.
- New Orleans Saints: gnarlybroncodude DB, Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St.
- Houston Texans: PredominantlyOrange WR, Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
- San Diego Chargers: Sadaraine ILB, Rey Maualuga, USC
- New York Jets: danelama QB, Mark Sanchez, USC
- Denver Broncos (from Chicago): Combat Chuk RB, Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OrangeCrush4082 QB, Josh Freeman, Kansas St.
- (Dallas Cowboys) Lions: BDAWKisaBRONC OT, Andre Smith, Alabama
- Philadelphia Eagles: ejruiz ON THE CLOCK
- Minnesota Vikings: War Eagle Aubie ON DECK
- New England Patriots bronco-Maine-iac
- Atlanta Falcons: Stovie47
- Miami Dolphins: adamriggs
- Baltimore Ravens mla2131
- Indianapolis Colts: chikndnnr
- (Carolina Panthers) Eagles: bcfunk
- New York Giants: Russ
- Tennessee Titans: Broncoman
- Arizona Cardinals: Calibroncoboy
- Pittsburgh Steelers: PABroncofan
Aaron Curry followed by Andre Smith, how do you rate the Lions first round?
Both moves were good. (157 votes)
Good call on Curry, but not Smith. (26 votes)
Messed up on Curry, but Smith was a good pickup. (24 votes)
Neither pick was the best choice. (13 votes)
220 total votes