With the #21 pick in the 2009 MHR Community Mock Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select....
WR, HAKEEM NICKS, UNC
Round 1, Pick #21 overall
Details of the pick after the jump...
From GM ejruiz: The unexpected Jay Cutler trade and Denver’s subsequent pick of University of Georgia RB Knowshon Moreno at #18 left us scrambling a bit for an adequate choice at this spot. All of our other top targets were also picked up prior to our time on the clock and most of the remaining top prospects don’t quite fit our schemes; nevertheless, we still feel comfortable with our eventual choice. After all, the Eagles are a team with few – if any – truly glaring needs thanks to forward-thinking drafts in the past and the versatility of several key players. The void at offense tackle can be resolved internally if necessary, while RB and TE can be effectively addressed with later picks. Therefore, I felt at ease making a slight reach for what some may deem to be a luxury prospect.
As the quintessential possession receiver, Hakeem Nicks provides a skill set unlike any other in Philadelphia at that position. His presence should improve the WR corps as a whole by allowing the current members of that group to slide into roles more suited to their particular abilities. Moreover, we hope that QB Donovan McNabb appreciates this attempt to upgrade the weapons that surround him. Though he does not have all the elite tools to work with, Nicks more than makes up for that with exceptional skills. His lack of frontline speed is offset and then some by his reliable hands, disciplined route-running, impressive ball skills, outstanding awareness, overall toughness, and top-notch intangibles. We look forward to his often spectacular contributions for years to come.
Commish's Thoughts: Solid pick, with solid reasoning. Nicks 'feels' like an Eddie Royal type of player, and the only surprise to me is how popular he seems to be with analysts and the like, since usually his makeup is underappreciated. Call it a testament to his production at UNC.
ON THE CLOCK
Minnesota Vikings are up next. We are starting to get into the meat and potatoes of the draft, with each pick being more likely to be a sliding player, or long armed reach. Will the Viking's GM be able to hold those forces at bay?
The deadline for this pick is NOON MST, April 6th. As long as I receive the pick by that time it will be valid. To send me the pick, just email me at the address shown in my profile.
Round 1, Pick #22 Overall
GM War Eagle Aubie
- Detroit Lions: McDah OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- St.Louis Rams: 53guys OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- Kansas City Chiefs: Papisan DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- Seattle Seahawks: Denver_Native OT, Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Cleveland Browns: Zappa WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
- Cincinnati Bengals: DukeTC OT, Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Oakland Raiders: V. Money DT/NT, BJ Raji, Boston College
- Jacksonville Jaguars: gunnermc QB, Matt Stafford, Georgia
- Green Bay Packers: Broncosorbust OLB, Clay Matthews, USC
- San Francisco 49ers: Elway's Ghost DE/OLB, Everette Brown, Florida St.
- Buffalo Bills: Rep56 TE, Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St.
Denver Broncos: broncofan91 OLB, Brian Cushing, USC
- Washington Redskins: Chawkins06 DE Aaron Maybin, Penn St.
- New Orleans Saints: gnarlybroncodude DB, Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St.
- Houston Texans: PredominantlyOrange WR, Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
- San Diego Chargers: Sadaraine ILB, Rey Maualuga, USC
- New York Jets: danelama QB, Mark Sanchez, USC
- Denver Broncos (from Chicago): Combat Chuk RB, Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OrangeCrush4082 QB, Josh Freeman, Kansas St.
- (Dallas Cowboys) Lions: BDAWKisaBRONC OT, Andre Smith, Alabama
- Philadelphia Eagles: ejruiz WR, Hakeem Nicks, UNC
- Minnesota Vikings: War Eagle Aubie ON THE CLOCK
- New England Patriots bronco-Maine-iac ON DECK
- Atlanta Falcons: Stovie47
- Miami Dolphins: adamriggs
- Baltimore Ravens mla2131
- Indianapolis Colts: chikndnnr
- (Carolina Panthers) Eagles: bcfunk
- New York Giants: Russ
- Tennessee Titans: Broncoman
- Arizona Cardinals: Calibroncoboy
- Pittsburgh Steelers: PABroncofan
How did the Eagles do on pick 1.1?
Solid pick, I could see doing that. (118 votes)
I didn't like the pick, its not what I would do. (58 votes)
It was close, but I would have done something a little different. (32 votes)
208 total votes