With the #22 pick in the 2009 MHR Community Mock Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select....
WR, PERCY HARVIN, FLORIDA
Round 1, Pick #22 overall
GM War Eagle Aubie
Details of the pick after the jump...
From GM War Eagle Aubie: I struggled with whether to take the QB or WR during the first round, I am going with Harvin because the Vikings need the type of WR who is quick off the line (he ran a 4.49 at the scouting combine). Because Percy is versatile I see great potential for him to be the go to guy no matter which QB (Gus Frerotte or Tarvaris Jackson) is taking snaps under center for the Vikings, I don't think Percy Harvin will be available for the Vikings but I will happily take him and hope to hear the “horn” a whole a lot more in the Metrodome! I include the analysis I used to make my choice from NFL Draft Dog:
"One of the most versatile athletes in the country, Harvin enters the 2008 season as a Heisman candidate on a team that boasts a Heisman winner (Tim Tebow) already! Just as he did in high school, the versatility that enables him to do so much on the field also holds him back in being distinguished. With College Football being so popular now, all awards and accolades need to be put into certain buckets. Harvin is listed as a WR, but runs the ball almost as much as he catches it. His total yards from scrimmage is impressive, but as JUST a WR or JUST a RB, his numbers are average.
His break out 2007 season saw him lead his team in receiving yards (858) while scoring 4 touchdowns and was the second leading rusher on his team (behind Heisman Winner Tebow) with 764 yards and 6 touchdowns. To label him just a receiver seems criminal. He can break tackles by running through them and keeping his legs churning, but needs to work on his strength. He has a second gear and attitude similar to former USC standout Reggie Bush. He gets the ball in his hands and just GOES. Although Reggie was stronger than Harvin, both have vision, speed and athletic gifts that make them almost immortal (although Reggie has been reduced to a mortal in the league)."
Commish's Thoughts: Multiple WRs off the board in the first round will separate the men from the boys, no doubt. You have to wonder if Bush would have the "bust" label applied to him as often if had had the luxury of being selected in the final third of the first round, but when it comes to the Vikings, all that matters is that they are stacking up the offense and relieving pressure at the QB position. With that as their single biggest question mark, I think they have done a good job with this pick of helping get an answer figured out.
ON THE CLOCK
New England Patriots are up next. They have quite a haul in the first three rounds, and the mother lode starts right here at pick #23. Stay tuned to see what they dig up.
The deadline for this pick is MIDNIGHT MST, April 6th. As long as I receive the pick by that time it will be valid. To send me the pick, just email me at the address shown in my profile.
New England Patriots
Round 1, Pick #23 Overall
- Detroit Lions: McDah OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- St.Louis Rams: 53guys OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- Kansas City Chiefs: Papisan DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- Seattle Seahawks: Denver_Native OT, Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Cleveland Browns: Zappa WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
- Cincinnati Bengals: DukeTC OT, Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Oakland Raiders: V. Money DT/NT, BJ Raji, Boston College
- Jacksonville Jaguars: gunnermc QB, Matt Stafford, Georgia
- Green Bay Packers: Broncosorbust OLB, Clay Matthews, USC
- San Francisco 49ers: Elway's Ghost DE/OLB, Everette Brown, Florida St.
- Buffalo Bills: Rep56 TE, Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St.
Denver Broncos: broncofan91 OLB, Brian Cushing, USC
- Washington Redskins: Chawkins06 DE Aaron Maybin, Penn St.
- New Orleans Saints: gnarlybroncodude DB, Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St.
- Houston Texans: PredominantlyOrange WR, Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
- San Diego Chargers: Sadaraine ILB, Rey Maualuga, USC
- New York Jets: danelama QB, Mark Sanchez, USC
- Denver Broncos (from Chicago): Combat Chuk RB, Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OrangeCrush4082 QB, Josh Freeman, Kansas St.
- (Dallas Cowboys) Lions: BDAWKisaBRONC OT, Andre Smith, Alabama
- Philadelphia Eagles: ejruiz WR, Hakeem Nicks, UNC
- Minnesota Vikings: War Eagle Aubie WR, Percy Harvin, Florida
- New England Patriots bronco-Maine-iac ON THE CLOCK
- Atlanta Falcons: Stovie47 ON DECK
- Miami Dolphins: adamriggs
- Baltimore Ravens mla2131
- Indianapolis Colts: chikndnnr
- (Carolina Panthers) Eagles: bcfunk
- New York Giants: Russ
- Tennessee Titans: Broncoman
- Arizona Cardinals: Calibroncoboy
- Pittsburgh Steelers: PABroncofan
How did the vikings do?
Excellent. (57 votes)
Good. (46 votes)
Meh. (55 votes)
Poor. (8 votes)
166 total votes