A dedicated group of MHR "reporters" met today at Dove Valley to watch the first practice of the McDaniels era. Our consensus is that those who predict a 2-14 Denver record this year are dead wrong. Following are some of our observations:
- There is a big focus on special teams. Practice started at 8:45 with punting and punt returns. This was revisited at 10:00. Paxton made at least three bad snaps. Britton Colquitt looked pretty good as competition at punter.
- Spencer Larson wore the blue of Defense but lined up on offense on numerous occasions and then he called cadence and blocked on the punting team. The rumor that he also sold hot dogs is unfounded.
- Lamont Jordan startyed at RB but split carries with Torrain, who looked spectacular on several lays. It is this writers opinion that if Torrain stays healthy (he wore a big brace on his knee) he will be a huge asset for this team.
- Payton Hillis is everything he was last year. I would hate like hell to try to tackle that man.
- Brandon Marshall practiced and made some electrifying catches that got the whole crowd excited. He is a dominant wide receiver. I felt he was playing with a chip on his shoulder. He seemed arrogant to me.
- Defense front plays both 4-3 abd 3-4. Much of the 3-4 looks like a 5-2.
- Gaffney caught most of the passes
- In general - Our offensive line looked at mid-season form. They still zoneblock. Our defensive front seven is not as bad as we might have feared.
I have much more and will post later, but the overall consensus of our group, Papigrande, posternutbag, mike and myself, is that this team is going to cause problems this year for a lot of teams.