I created a poll over at WCG to get a feel for what they thought of our new starting QB. A link to the fan post and poll is here. Please feel free to go over there and take a look.
An overwhelming majority of the nice folks over there think Kyle Orton is an average QB and a game manager. I wonder if I would have been better off leaving out the descriptions in the answers altogether? Maybe some people would see "game manager" as less than average … more of a put down? Don’t know. Live and learn, I guess. One person put him in the top 10 (and I stretched it to 10 to give him a chance). Only 3 people (and I was not one of them) said he isn’t a starter in the NFL. And a smattering of folks think he is either above average or below average.
Some of the comments were also interesting (good often accompanying bad):
- he is very good at the short passing game ….. (snipped bad) ….. but he usually makes good decisions
- He is an intellegent QB
- he can win with a good defense and running game
- but he can chuck it pretty far
- but he wins over his teammates, he plays hard and he is capable of making plays to win games
- Orton may not lose you too many games,
- he is smart and makes good decisions
- He has some trouble with Deep Ball accuracy
- if you get involved in a shoot out Kyle is not your man
- his physical skills limit his overall performance
- If you quickly find youreself down by 10-14 points, you might want to see if your wife has any projects around the house
- he is the master of the Dump off screen on third and forever
- but he’s not real accurate after 25 yards
- I don’t think Denver is a place that he’ll do particularly well unless the defense really steps it up
- Orton’s best passing performances have always come against the Lions. He’s not talented enough to regularly extend the play or make things happen when things break down. And the inaccuracy of his deep throws will drive you nuts.