As opening day approaches there are ominous signs over the Bronco Nation
1. Alphonso Smith was sent today to the Detroit Lions for Dan Gronkowski, a 7th round pick who caught one pass last year for four yards. Denver will receive a low level draft pick as well. The fact that Denver gave up a first round pick in this years draft for Smith and we have now traded him for an unused tight end from the Lions, offically means that Smith is a bust.
2. The number of injuries that the Broncos have suffered is staggering. Losing Branson at Tight end hurts our passing game quite a bit and leaves us very weak at the position.
3. Cutting Jarvis Green after paying him 3 million dollars for six months is a shocker. One of the supposed gains in from our free agency signings was the rebuilt defensive line. Cutting Green is a worrisome sign.
4. Our preseason defense's run defense has been suspect at best. Hopefully, we can turn it around, because if we can't stop the run we are in for a long season.
5. Our non existent running game is disturbing. Without Buckhalter and Moreno, we have been using reserves all preseason. However, our running game over the last year and half has had issues. Changing our entire blocking scheme away from the Shanahan model to the New England model has not been successful. Hopefully, our line improves and Moreno can take the next step and be a1000+ yard rusher.
6. The loss of Dumervil leaves us thin at linebacker and our pass rush has been weak in the preseason. Without a pass rush, our pass defense will be vulnerable this year.
On the positive side this year's draft picks appear to be largely progressing well. Decker looks good, Cox is a stud, Thompson has shown promise, and Tebow looks good enough to see him as the future of the franchise. Orton looks good, but you have to worry about him having to throw most of the time because of our weak running game.
Lots of question marks, hopefully the bad luck with injuries is over and Denver can gel as a team and be successful this year.