It's a common sense that for this past offseason our major need was at the defensive tackle position. I knew it, you knew it, all the fanbase knew it and for sure our front-office knew it. They surprised us all a lot with a different and smart strategy, letting the other franchises battle for the deep DT class while we filled some big needs with some top-borders of other positions.
Then, in the free agency market, we made some moves and passed on others. So we are now in the mid-season and I think it could be nice to see the big scenario on how all those DTs were playing so far. We know that the stats don't tell the whole story, but it's some measures for us to compare.
Here we go:
|IND||Drake Nevis (D)||4||8||8||0||0||0||0||1||0||1|
|NYJ||Kenrick Ellis (D)||2||2||2||0||0||0||0||0||1||3|
|BUF||Marcell Dareus (D)||8||17||7||3.5||0||1||0||1||1||2|
|NYG||Marvin Austin (D)||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|NYJ||Muhammad Wilkerson (D)||8||15||5||1||0||0||0||1||3||5|
|DET||Nick Fairley (D)||3||1||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|CHI||Stephen Paea (D)||3||2||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|CAR||Terrell McClain (D)||8||6||4||1||0||1||0||0||1||4|
|ex-NE||Albert Haynesworth (FA)||6||2||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|CHI||Amobi Okoye (FA)||8||9||5||3||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|NO||Aubrayo Franklin (FA)||9||10||4||0||0||0||0||0||0||3|
|WAS||Barry Cofield (FA)||8||9||3||2||0||1||3||5||0||0|
|SEA||Brandon Mebane (FA)||8||18||9||0||0||0||0||0||4||7|
|PHI||Cullen Jenkins (FA)||8||13||7||5||0||1||3||0||2||6|
|MIA||Paul Soliai (FA)||8||12||4||0||0||0||0||2||1||4|
After taking a look on that, I can draw a few thoughts:
1. Confirming what I expected to see, Bunkley is indeed our best defensive tackle.
2. The ex-Big Vick kid disappointed me arriving the training camp much lighter. For a moment I thought it could be an advantage, as he could be quicker and get to the backfield more often, but I was wrong. He is not producing well.
3. Marcus Thomas and Ryan McBean are having their job accomplished very well. Glad to see it!
4. Marcell Dareus is really a beast and would make a huge impact on our line, but we needed much more to improve our pass rushing and Von Miller is the real deal.
5. Many of us (me included) wanted to pick Paea and Austin with our two 2nd round picks. Point to our front-office who didn't do it and used our both picks much better.
6. Mebane is proving with numbers that he was the best DT available at the free agency market. However, he wanted to stay in Seattle and there was nothing we could have done to land him in Denver.
7. I was pissed with our front-office for don't even trying to sign Cofield, but now he is showing only a good player, just like ours.
8. I really wanted to see Cullen Jenkins wearing Orange & Blue. I didn't want to take a risk on the injury prone Ty Warren in favor of overpaying to Jenkins. I was right that he would have done a great job here, as he is doing for the Eagles.
9. Soliai didn't worth the money he is receiving in Miami, but does he worth a smaller contract next season to play for us? I say yes, but I don't think he would accept it.
10. Should we give a shot to Mr. Fat Haynesworth? Absolutely not!
As we can see, our front-office made a great job handling our lack of talent at this position. I grade it as an A, or ate least B+. For the next season, I think we'll draft 1DT early (likely on the 2nd round) and we can develop this line to a really promising future. And you dudes, what do you think about all these stats? Any other thoughts to add? Did I forget any name? Do you agree with my grade to this our front-office at this position?