With the second pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Denver Broncos select Von Miller, linebacker, Texas A & M. LOVE IT! I understand we could have got Marcell Dareus and had the potential pro bowl defensive tackle that we have not had in forever, but I do think Miller is the right pick. Von Miller brings us a force that will be hard to gameplan around. The talk that Miller won't work in a 4-3 I think is bogus. The Broncos got a player who will be able to play for them on every down and help us with the problem we have on stopping the opposing offense on third down.
We all know already the Broncos were last in the NFL in sacks last season with 23.0. Von Miller will instantly impact that, as the number two pick in the draft should. The Broncos were not very good last year either on third down, giving up a first down 38% of the time. This was middle of the pack in the league. However, all of the other AFC West teams were better than us in that category. Also, all four teams in the conference champion games were in the top 10 in the league in this stat.
My point in all this again is that we need to get pressure on the quarterback. I do not think our secondary was as bad as it appeared last year. Eventually receivers are going to get open if the quarterback has all day to throw. I think having a bull rush from Ayers with Miller coming around that strong side along with Elvis Dumervil coming on the other edge will make opposing quarterbacks lives miserable, and ultimately create more turnovers.
The Pittsburgh Steelers were one of the top teams in forced fumbles and Green Bay Packers were near the top with interceptions. Again. As I said above, the pass rush will create more turnovers and I can't over-emphasize how important it is that we improve on third down. The leagues worst defense will not be repaired in one draft but we have took one huge step in it's repair with the best edge rusher in years.
All thoughts were a month ago that Fox would want Bowers because of his love for pass rushers, just like when he took Peppers at two in his first season for the Panthers. Well, Fox virtually did the same thing with taking the best pass rusher in the draft again. Von Miller is a leader. We now have an explosive linebacker who is similar to Derrick Thomas who Elway remembers fondly.
Anywho, after that rant here are my other thoughts on the draft:
- I think Kyle Orton's draft stock may have went up a bit more with teams still missing quarterback's that could potentially need one depending on how things playout tomorrow.
- For the last couple months I knew Von Miller would be a great pick and in a defensive line loaded draft thought we could get our tackle(s) early in the 2nd round. It is looking that way. Stephen Paea is still available and Marvin Austin. When 36 rolls around I would not hesitate to take Marvin Austin.
- Fox said in the press conference last night that they are most likely going best player available the rest of the way. With that being said, I again would love to see Austin or Paea. But another interesting pick could be Kyle Rudolph. We need a tight end and this kid is big, has great hands and has some vertical threat. He can also block which could be great.
- Or maybe Da'Quan Bowers? If Bowers falls to 46 I want him. The previous projected number one pick would be worth the risk. If he could become close to what he was supposed to be, the force of Bowers, Miller, and Dumervil would make me drool.....
- I would like to see a running back either late 2nd round or in the third round. Whichever one EFX see's works best, I will leave it at that but either way I think it is important. Than again, if free agency starts right away like it should, than Fox will definitely take a run and singing his former back Deangelo Williams which would make for a fun trio of backs with Knowshon Moreno, Lendale White and Deangelo Williams.
- If we do not take Kyle Rudolph, and I doubt we do than one other tight end prospect that interests me is Robert Housler from Florida Atantic. The kid ran a 4.5 40 which makes him a instant vertical threat and is 6'5. Just a thought that I would like to see.