The intense gaze of "Weapon X" tells you that Broncos Safety Brian Dawkins means business. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)
As we patiently await for the judicial system to decide whether we will have football this year, the subjects that are there to write about are dwindling. Sure the "Broncos By The Numbers" series is a pleasant diversion and a chance to learn about little known players, but we all need more meat in out diet. Protein to ponder, if you will. So I figured I would toss out some bones for us to chew on, let the Horse have the reins and see where the trail takes us.
The one thing that stands out to me this off-season is the lack of drama for our Broncos. Beyond the quarterback debate, there have been fewer Broncos in trouble this year, especially with all the idle time that the players have during this Lockout. Since Laurence Maroney's weapons charge arrest on January 18th, there hasn't been any police activity involving any Bronco players. With Maroney a Free Agent, that problem has been cured. D.J. Williams and Perrish Cox have active court cases from last year, but Thank the Barrelman for the lack of negative news, trouble or fatalities. In fact, I'd say that it is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that have the bad Juju, this off-season. Check this out:
- 3/4/2011: Bucs director of pro scouting Shelton Quarles was arrested for DUI.
- 3/30/2011: Buccaneers CB Aqib Talib was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
- 4/20/2011: Bucs assistant to the head coach Jayson Kaiser was arrested for DUI.
- 5/9/2011: Buccaneers DE Alex Magee was arrested for possession of marijuana and driving on tags expired for more than six months.
There. That should make you feel better. If not here's more from the police blotter that may have an affect on 2011 Bronco games after this
Okay, how about multiple choice.
A. Rick Upchurch?
B. Lionel Taylor?
C. Steve Watson?
D. Brandon Marshall?
- 2/12/2011: Raiders RB Michael Bush was arrested for drunk driving.
- 3/17/2011: Raiders OL Mario Henderson was arrested for carrying a concealed firearm.
- 4/3/2011: Raiders WR Louis Murphy was arrested for possession of a drug without a valid prescription, failure to obey a police officer and resisting arrest without violence.
The Raiders slammed Bush (along with TE Zach Miller) with a 1st and 3rd-round Restricted Free Agent tender, but as a 4-year veteran, he may end up Unrestricted. I am unaware of his history of past transgressions if any, but Roger Goodell doesn't have a high tolerance for poor behavior. If the Raiders retain him, there is a possibility he could miss the opener with a suspension. Mario Henderson is a Free Agent, so any action by the Commissioner will follow him and likely not have an affect in the Monday Night opener. Louis Murphy should miss the game. If you'll remember, he was the one arrested for possession of the Performance Enhancing Drug Viagra. If he doesn't get at least a one-game suspension out of the incident, Commissioner Goodell has gone soft.
- 4/12/2011: Titans WR Kenny Britt was arrested for eluding police and obstruction.
- 4/4/2011: Chiefs LB Mike Vrabel was arrested for theft, a Class D felony, in Indiana.
- 5/6/2011: Chargers LB Antwan Applewhite was arrested for suspicion of DUI.
He is a Restricted Free Agent with a 2nd round tender, but a local San Diego newspaper believes that the incident will cost Antwan his spot on the roster. The Chargers and Broncos meetup in Weeks 5 and 12, so it may not matter.
- 3/25/2011: Packers DL Johnny Jolly is arrested for possession of codeine.
This guy won't be playing football with the Packers this year. Maybe in the Wisconsin Penal League, but he will definitely be absent when the Broncos visit Lambeau in Week 4.
- 1/28/2011: Vikings DE Everson Griffen is arrested for public intoxication.
- 1/31/2011: Vikings DE Everson Griffen is arrested for felony battery.
Same guy gets in trouble 3 days apart. Obviously a 3 Day bender that got violent. Everson must not be a Happy Drunk. The Broncos visit the Mall of the America (Metrodome) Field in Week 13. The Vikings signed him to a 4-year, $2.33 million contract last July. This must be how you spend a $540,000 signing bonus in the Twin Cities. Let's just say that this wasn't on the list of high expectations the team had for Everson. It's too early to tell how this affects the late season matchup, but the court case could stretch out this far.
According to Adam Schefter, Brian Dawkins has organized Broncos' workouts Tuesdays & Thursdays each week near Dove Valley.
Brian Dawkins tells media the Broncos will still condition & build team chemistry. Says, he is meant to lead.
Broncos doing speed dynamics drills. O-Lineman & others getting it in.
Eric Decker looks like he put on weight.
In talking to Mays after workout, says he sees himself as middle in Fox defense w/ weakside help. Says envisions Von strong, But have to wait to see.
Joe Mays told me he'd like to drop 10 pounds. I think he can hold in the high 250's though & still keep speed. Just have to emphasize Flex training.
On the question, Where the hell is Tebow?, Josina Tweeted: Via another player, I know there's a plan in motion to hookup with at least 1 WR next week.
ProLink Sports, LLC: Big thank you to Brothers BBQ for bringing lunch down to the Broncos players after today's workout. You were the biggest hit of the day!
Darcel McBath: "Workout was a beast and I killed it today..now it's sauna time!!"
Broncos Talk: LenDale White, Rod Smith join Broncos unofficial workouts in Englewood
Brady Quinn: "Working out...tired of waiting...just let us play."
Cassius Vaughn: Eating fried gator right now......
TRIVIA ANSWERS (courtesy of Tim Lynch)
Question 2: C - Steve Watson in 1984
I hope you enjoyed these Broncos Blatherings. I'm not sure this will be a continuing series, but hopefully it is a welcome diversion and grounds for discussion.