As the mock is a week away, something will happen, beacuse it happens every year, and that is at least 1/3 of the 1st rounders will likely be considered busts in their NFL career, and as the draft goes on, that percentage goes up. So with that in mind, here is my list of most likely busts and players I think the Broncos should stay away from with early picks. This of course is just my opinion, but feel free to tell me I am an idiot.
1. Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis - The kid obviously lite up the combine to the point where everyone is thinking he is a top 10 talent, if Al Davis was still alive and maybe he will rise from the grave and make this selection, but Poe is the perfect example of "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane", most of the talking heads haven't actually watched anything other than some select highlites, but this kid was underwhelming in conference USA to a point he wasn't even 1st team, that shows the amount of respect or lack of he had in college. I have seen the comparisons to elite NT/DT in the NFL and other than his work in shorts, this kid doesn't even come close to those guys. Sorry Mr. Poe, you are busted!
2. Michael Brockers, DT, LSU - A redshirt sophmore who basically looks like a DT, but again, his college career was brief and underwhelming. This kid is stilll learning how to play and that is a pretty big risk for a 1st round prospect. You need 1st rounders to be ready to step in an start, this kid is at least a year if not 2 from being an NFL starter. Also note that recent LSU lineman haven't faired all that well in the NFL (just look at the Chiefs). Sorry, Mr. Brockers, you are busted!
3. Lamar Miller, RB, Miami - Miller had a great season and is one of the fastest players in the draft. What is not to like, he must be Chris Johnson version 2.0, how about a different player, a guy by the name of Gaston Green 2.0. For those of you who don't remember Gaston, he played briefly for the Broncos and was great for a couple of 80 yard runs if he could get to the edge, but like Green, Miller is not good through the hole, runs too upright, and is not patient runner or that instinctive. Miller will likely have some spectacular runs if he can get to the second level, but expect alot of -3 yard runs like Mr. Green was notorious for. Sorry Mr. Miller, you are busted.
4. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama - Generally I tend to like Bama defensive players, but I think Kirkpatrick was more a function of a great system rather than being a great CB. Playing with a bunch of NFL players in a conference devoid of legit NFL QB's will make you look alot better than you really are. While I think he will likely be a serviceable CB, he will not be elite by any means. Sorry Mr. Kirkpatrick, but you are busted.
5. Matt Kalil, OT, USC - While I think Kalil is a decent prosect, he is nowhere near a top 5 talent that people have him listed at. He was beaten way too often in college to be considered an elite propsect. While I think he will have a decent career, I don't see him being anything more than an above average LT in the pros. Sorry Mr. Kalil, you are busted.