With the 13th pick in the 2012 MHR Community Mock Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select:
Riley Reiff, Offensive Tackle, Iowa
Cardinals GM: Rob Burson
GM Explanation: I think the Cards would be very interested in trading down. They have no 2nd round pick. A trade down could get them perhaps a 2nd and additional 3rd round pick.
A good pass rushing linebacker would certainly be tempting at this slot; the Red Birds have a surprisingly solid defense, but could not muster a pass rushing threat last year. Luke Kuechly would be the sexy pick here, if available.
The 10,000 pound elephant in the room, however, is Arizona’s O-Line. Left Tackle Riley Reiff, University of Iowa Hawkeyes, possesses all the qualities that could solidify him as the Cardinals starting tackle for the next decade.
Kevin Kolb and Skelton were eaten alive by opposing pass rushers in 2011, as the Cardinals arguably had the worst offensive line in the NFL in terms of protecting the quarterback.
It certainly doesn’tt help that Kolb seems to need to sharply develop his pocket awareness if he is going to step up to the next level.
Riley Reiff will provide immediate help. Athletic, relatively nimble, good lateral agility…can provide pass protection and strong run blocking. This is a no brainer pick.
Commissioner's Analysis: Rob is right on with his last point: This is a no brainer pick. The Cardinals have to pick an offensive lineman early on in this draft, and getting Riley Reiff is solid value in my opinion. At Iowa, Reiff really grew into a great offensive tackle prospect thanks to great coaching from the Iowa staff. He developed from a 250 pound defensive lineman to a 310 pound top notch offensive tackle in four years, and for the Cardinals, he fills their biggest need as well as the best player available category. This is a great pick.
1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
3. Minnesota Vikings: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
4. Cleveland Browns: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
6. St. Louis Rams: Matt Kalil, OT, USC
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
8. Miami Dolphins: David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
9. Carolina Panthers: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
10. Buffalo Bills: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
11. Kansas City Chiefs: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
12. Seattle Seahawks: Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina
13. Arizona Cardinals: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
On the clock...Dallas Cowboys (rsterling)