With the 14th pick in the 2012 MHR community mock draft, the Dallas Cowboys select:
Luke Kuechly, Linebacker, Boston College
Cowboys GM: rsterling
GM Explanation: Info on Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
I just can't pass up a pure football player. I love a linebacking core of Sean Lee, Dan Connor, DeMarcus Ware and Luke Kuechly. (I am unconvinced of Carter). I want to see what Rob Ryan will do with this LB corp. He has instinct and will be a 10 year starter for you. God knows Dallas can use someone that is a fundamentally sound tackler. I think he is ready to start week 1. Think Jonathan Vilma, or more recently Von Miller. Luke will be Defensive Rookie of the year. From the Sporting News: Kuechly is the best coverage linebacker to come into the NFL in many years. Pass coverage is missing from the existing linebacking corp. Kuechly has good size at 6'3'' and 237 pounds.
Improve the defense with Luke, run Murray non-stop = Going deep in the playoffs.
Commissioner's Analysis: I think this is a horrendous waste of a pick. It's not that Kuechly isn't a good player, or even that he's not a great player, but Dallas already has Sean Lee, Dan Connor, DeMarcus Ware, franchise player Anthony Spencer, and last year's second round pick Bruce Carter. I just think this is absolute overkill and a waste of valuable assets, specifically when the Cowboys have needs at cornerback, safety, possibly along the defensive line, and offensive line. If the Cowboys made this pick, it would be the head-scratcher of the first round, not including the pick of Trent Richardson to the Vikes which was also awful. I don't see any way Kuechly would even start in Dallas unless Connor, Carter, or Lee gets injured.
1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
3. Minnesota Vikings: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
4. Cleveland Browns: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
6. St. Louis Rams: Matt Kalil, OT, USC
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
8. Miami Dolphins: David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
9. Carolina Panthers: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
10. Buffalo Bills: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
11. Kansas City Chiefs: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
12. Seattle Seahawks: Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina
13. Arizona Cardinals: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
14. Dallas Cowboys: Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
On the clock...Philadelphia Eagles (GibsonV)