Continuing our look at the history of the later draft rounds, in fact, something that hasn’t existed in nearly 20 years, we find ourselves at the 9th round. Of the 171 players drafted by the Broncos from the 8th to 17th round from 1967 to 1993, 26 of them were selected in the 9th round.
Two of those Broncos made the Pro Bowl, six of them were the primary starter at their position for 2 or more seasons and four of them made 69 or more starts (15.3%).
11 did not suit up for a single NFL game (42.3%). Another 3 played in 2 games or less.
- Paul Smith - 2x Pro Bowls, 6 yr primary starter, 164 games, 93 starts
- Dave Washington - 1x Pro Bowl, 6 yr primary starter, 138 games, 69 starts
- Lyle Blackwood - 7 yr primary starter, 176 games, 102 starts
- Charles Jackson - 5 yr primary starter, 117 games, 70 starts
- Keith Uecker - 3 yr primary starter, 85 games, 49 starts
A total of 708 players were drafted in the 9th round between 1967-1993 throughout the NFL.
10 of those players made at least one Pro Bowl and 3 were All-Pro’s.
46 were the primary starter at their position for at least one year and 20 players were the primary starter at their position for at least 5 years.
5 players were the primary starter at their position for 10 or more years and out of those, 3 were Punters.
16 started 56 games or more (2.2%).
11 started 100 games or more.
32 appeared in at least 100 games.
15 appeared in 150 or more games.
5 appeared in 200 or more games.
140 did not play a game in the NFL (19.7%).
Another 61 played in 1 to 10 games.
- Steve Tasker - 7x Pro Bowl, 169 Games, 15 Starts
- Brad Johnson - 2x Pro Bowl, 8 yr Starter, 177 Games,125 Starts
- Clyde Simmons - 2x All-Pro, 2x Pro Bowl, 12 yr Starter, 236 Games, 185 Starts
- Ali Haji-Sheikh - 1x All-Pro, 1x Pro Bowl, 3 yr Starter, 51Games, 0 Starts (Kicker)
- Johnny Bailey - 1x Pro Bowl, 81Games, 4 Starts
- Reyna Thompson - 1x Pro Bowl, 116 Games, 18 Starts
- Jeff Cross - 1x Pro bowl, 7 yr Starter, 125 Games, 107 Starts
- Terry Allen - 1x Pro Bowl, 9 yr Starter, 130 Games, 114 Starts
- Mike Horan - 1x All-Pro, 1x Pro Boel, 14 yr Starter, 205 Games, 0 Starts (Punter)
- Brian Hansen - 1x Pro Bowl, 14 yr Starter, 212 Games, 0 Starts (Punter)
Compared to the 8th round, where the success rate for the league was 5.1% and 4.7% for the Broncos, the 9th round was profoundly better, with the Broncos seeing a 15.3% success rate where the league rate fell to 2.2%
Next up will be the 10th round. Until then...