News leaked out yesterday that the Jets are exploring the possibility of trading Darrelle Revis.
This post is going to be short and to the point. Bottom line Broncos Country, do you think the Broncos should do it? Revis is in the last year of his contract coming off of a season ending ACL injury. His contract for 2013 looks like this:
$3 Million base salary, $3 Million in bonuses, $9 Million cap hit. Now I'm not sure if the cap hit number is accurate because all I can find are three $1 Million bonuses for reporting to camp, workouts, and roster. It looks as if the prorated signing bonus has already been paid in full.
My gut feeling is that if a deal gets done, it would be reworked from this year on. The Broncos have approximately 18.5 Million in cap space (most in the AFC West) but also have a slew of bottom/middle tier free agents to resign along with Ryan Clady who will most likely eat up about half our cap space in 2013. We have smart guys in the FO that would be able to work out the numbers favorably over the lifetime of the contract(s) though so it might not be prudent to throw away this idea just because of that. The pros and cons as I see it?
- Would take care of the CB need the Broncos have. How crazy would it be to see Revis and Champ on opposite sides of the field? Champ can still play at a high level, playoff burns aside. Takes care of needing to find a #1 corner after Champ steps aside.
- Would add elite talent to an already talented defense.
- Would in all likelyhood cost the Broncos their 1st or 2nd round pick plus maybe a swap of a midround selection. Seems like the right price to me.
- Revis is coming off of a very serious injury, many have come back from an ACL and still been superstars (Brady, Peterson) but you still never know.
- Will not be cheap, his last contract averaged about $10 Million per year.
Ok Broncos fans, what say you, should Elway and Co. pull the trigger on this deal? Vote and discuss! GO BRONCOS!!!
Trade for Revis?
Yes (683 votes)
No (614 votes)
1297 total votes