!988, I'm walking into the Loaf N Jug at the bottom of Fort Lewis College for my morning can of Copenhagen and pepsi. In addition, it was NFL draft day and I was there to get the RMN and DP copies. While in line, I met two guys who were talking about the draft. Until that day, I had never met anyone like myself before in regards to love of the draft.
They had copies of Pro Football Weekly's NFL Draft Preview under their arms and were gearing up for the big day.
They invited me over and we became fast friends. I love the draft. Just love it.
So here are some of my memories.
1) We draft Steve Atwater. I was like, "Steve who?". I wanted Louis Oliver.
2) Prank phone calling was fun and easy back then. I called the Broncos and told them I was the agent for Bobby Humprey. They put me through to Dan Reeves. I acted like an idiot until he realized who I wasn't but the entire room had a great laugh.
3) I hated the CBs that Shanahan would pick.
4) Paul Tagaliebeau didn't mince words. "Welcome to the 19xx NFL Draft. The Indianapolis Colts are on the clock" Wasn't it always Indy every year?
5) The Jets fans always were crushed no matter who was picked. They would just collectively let out this expression of disgust.
6) Me noticing one year that Mel Kiper had normal looking hair.
7) Playing Tecmo football on the other tv while the draft was underway. The draft was much faster back then.
8) Watching Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket etc on other tv. This changed to Pride Fighting eventually. "Hey guys, I got something really cool to show you, they call it MMA".
9) Using draft terms to describe girlfriends, ladies walking by, etc. "She looks tight in the hips..."
10) James Harrison was yellow highlighted AND starred in my draft guide as a high priority free agent in 2002. His bio in the 2002 book is priceless.
11) Shannon Sharpe probably got the best review of any wr I ever read. "Can catch beebees in the dark his hands are so good.
Let me know some of years.