With news that Charles Woodson would be visiting the Denver Broncos this week or next, comes news out of Chicago by way of Sun-Times columnist Michael Sneed that free agent linebacker Brian Urlacher is in talks with the Denver Broncos, though the Broncos are disputing this.
Urlacher is another veteran that just makes sense for the Broncos to bring in and at a very obvious position.
Urlacher an eight-time Pro Bowler and future Hall of Famer turned down a $2 million offer that had $1 million guaranteed from the Chicago Bears earlier this offseason. Reportedly calling the offer insulting and 'a slap in the face'.
"It wasn't even an offer, it was an ultimatum," Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune. "I feel like I'm a decent football player still. It was insulting, somewhat of a slap in the face."
Yet, what is often the case with veteran players is that their first offer is their best offer and they usually end up settling for much less far after the original deal is off the table.
On his career the middle linebacker has 1,037 solo tackles, 41.5 sacks, 12 forced fumbles, 16 fumble recoveries, 22 interceptions and two touchdowns since 2000.
He would bring more age and much more experience to a middle linebacker spot that has many fans on edge about the position.
The other team that is talking with Urlacher (and possibly the more likely team to sign him) is the Minnesota Vikings.
Though the Denver Post's Mike Klis says no chance:
Sorry Brian: #Broncos are not interested in MLB Brian Urlacher. As in period.— Mike Klis (@MikeKlis) May 14, 2013
And it seems as if the Denver's Vice President of Public Relations Jim Saccamano has also taken to Twitter:
Lots of press reports about free agent comings and goings.The term "sources" is thrown around a lot... #fb— Jim Saccomano (@broncos_sacco) May 15, 2013