Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen isn't usually mentioned as one of the great owners in the NFL by the mainstream media.
He should be.
Consider the chart below, excerpted from footballgeography.com, and see how it illustrates just how successful and just how relatively young Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is when compared to the NFL's owner elite. And because Pat Bowlen very much belongs in that prestigious club.
With 292 wins as owner of the Denver Broncos, Pat Bowlen is already among the Top 10 owners in wins, all-time.That number puts him sixth in AFL/AFC history as well.
|Franchise||From||To||Seasons||Leader||W||L||T||W Pct.||League Championships|
|Bears||1921||1983||63 seasons||George Halas||463||318||40||0.588||8 (1921, '32-33, '40-41, '43, '46, '63)|
|Raiders||1966||2011||46 seasons||Al Davis||413||314||8||0.567||4 (AFL 1967, NFL '76, '80, '83)|
|Titans||1960||2012||53 seasons||Bud Adams||406||425||6||0.489||2 (AFL 1960-61)|
|Bills||1960||2012||53 seasons||Ralph Wilson||384||440||8||0.466||2 (AFL 1964-65)|
|Chiefs||1960||2006||47 seasons||Lamar Hunt||381||332||12||0.534||3 (AFL 1962, '66, Super Bowl '69)|
|Steelers||1933||1987||55 seasons||Art Rooney||334||362||19||0.467||4 (1974-75, '78-79)|
|Cardinals||1962||2012||51 seasons||Bill Bidwill||328||446||13||0.425|
|Lions||1961||2012||52 seasons||William Clay Ford||328||458||15||0.419|
|Giants||1965||2005||41 seasons||Wellington Mara||297||332||4||0.472||2 (1986, '90)|
|Broncos||1984||2012||29 seasons||Pat Bowlen||292||199||1||0.595||2 (1997-98)|
- Bowlen is the only owner in the Top 10 with a tenure of under 30 seasons.
- In fact, he is the only owner in the Top 10 with less than 40 seasons with his club.
- Bowlen's win percentage (.595) is the highest in the Top 10.
- Bowlen is six Broncos wins away from moving into the Top 9.
- Bowlen will very likely cross the 300-win mark in 2013, which will make him the ninth owner to do so.
- Based on the tenures of other owners with over 300 wins, Bowlen will be one of the fastest owners to reach 300 wins, if not the fastest.
I considered Bowlen underrated, but even I was undervaluing Denver's owner of 29 seasons, not knowing he was among the ten winningest owners all time. Between this, recognition for his philanthropy, and the prospect of winning a third Super Bowl in franchise history, 2013 promises to be a big year for Pat Bowlen.
A big year among decades of good ones.