1. You're gay? Oh the humanity!
Yeah, that was about my reaction to Michael Sam becoming the first openly gay player in the NFL. I mean, I hate to be sarcastic about it, but I live in California and being gay is about as unusual as being left handed. Then to have it be such a huge nation-breaking story is just flabbergasting to me. Apparently, NFL locker rooms are about as progressive as China during the Great Leap Forward.
RT @mikefreemanNFL: One veteran player on Sam: "Half of the NFL's locker rooms will accept him and half won't. It's a roll of the dice…"— MileHighReport (@MileHighReport) February 10, 2014
2. Players want to stay and get paid
Knowshon Moreno's agent has priced his client at $4 million a year, which is almost twice what he should get. Perhaps there is room for negotiation there.
We'll see what happens in the offseason and hopefully I'm still here with this team. I'm still part of the Broncos and that's all good right now. We'll see what happens with the rest.
I would love to come back. I don't know my future, either.
3. Mocking the Draft
This will be a new daily feature for me. Using this mock draft simulator tool, I'll conduct a seven round redraft every day provided there isn't some more important news going on that is more deserving to be in the six pack.
The mock fell badly for what I feel are the Denver Broncos biggest needs, which are ILB, S and G in that order. However, I made up for it by drafting two Inside Linebackers in later rounds, which also picking up an interesting option at quarterback in Zach Mettenberger and some potential players at the end of the draft.
4. The Cleveland Browns Suck
But not as bad as Mel Kiper and Todd McShay. Apparently, even if the Browns had followed the advice of the best mock drafters in the business, they would have failed. Honestly, I think both Kiper and McShay purposely mock players they know to be busts to the Browns for the simple reason that the busts have to go to one of four franchises. The Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders, New York Jets, or Washington Redskins. That is just my own personal suspicion, of course.
5. The Franchise
Looking back brought me to Floyd "The Franchise" Little today. He was the King of Denver long before John Elway came to town. When you call yourself a Broncomaniac, you can thank this man for making it happen.
6. Horse Tracks
- Not a whole lot of Broncos news out there not already covered above, but here's a look at the 2013 seasonfrom the Denver Broncos Instagram account.
- The Broncos lost an offensive assistant to the Detroit Lions. They promoted him all the way to Quarterbacks Coach, so it was a good move for Jim Bob Cooter. With a name like that, he will be missed!
- Someone over on Bleacher Report decided to set some odds for each major free agent the Broncos have and how likely they'll resign with the team.
- I don't really understand the clamor for Anquan Bolden. He is certainly a tough football player, but it just seems like most of his plays are when Colin Kaepernick or Joe Flacco just chuck the ball to him to go get. Peyton Manning goes to the open guy and I do not think Bolden gets open often because of his completely lack of speed.