1. Show me the Money!
If it turns out Adam Schefter was right on the money with his tweet, the Denver Broncos can expect $4 million extra dollars to play with in Free Agency. My sneaking suspicion is that the NFL and the NFLPA are trying hard to figure out a way to give teams more incentive to keep veteran players on their rosters.
NFL's salary cap now projected to rise to about $130 million, up 5 percent from $123 million last year, per league sources. More $ for all.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 20, 2014
I think the elephant in the room with the new CBA Agreement is how nearly all teams are targeting rookies for their rosters, rather than veterans. It's cheaper and only the best veteran Free Agents are getting deal, but even those guys are getting paid a fraction of what they would have gotten just three years ago.
Increasing the bump in annual salary cap will only help teams serious about winning championships, but won't really address the real problem the new CBA has created. I believe we are seeing an era where well-run franchises could actually build dynasties again through the draft. Something we have not really seen over the last 25 years.
Of course, that is pure speculation on my part. I do not study the salary cap like others out there - only applying my own opinion and biases on the unexpected bump.
2. Chris Harris JR. Podcast
In case you missed it, Mile High Report was able to get one of the teams best defenders on the air for this week's podcast. Well worth the listen and its good to hear that he is well ahead of schedule on his recovery for 2014.
3. Another Award
Luke Richesson, the Broncos Strength and Conditioning Coach, was given that positions Coach of the Year award by Samson Equipment, American Football Monthly. Many of us have heard of his unique training style and most of us agree that it has shown great worth for the team.
#Broncos' Luke Richesson named NFL Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year by Samson Equipment, American Football Monthly.— MileHighReport (@MileHighReport) February 20, 2014
4. Drafting the Mock
This mock draft tool never gets old, so this time I decided to run another three round simulation.
- Round 1: Kony Ealy, Defensive End
- Round 2: Xavier Su'A-Filo, Guard
- Round 3: Michael Sam, Defensive End
5. Tribute to the 2013 AFC Champions
6. Horse Tracks
- John Fox isn't too worried about the running game if/when Knowshon Moreno leaves. He feels Montee Ball is ready for it.
- The 2014 NFL Combine is kicking into high gear. John Fox had a lot to say about it.
- As MHR already reported, Mike Mayock went into detail about who the Broncos might target.
- Andrew Mason writes about John Fox's lessons of the importance of building a positive lock room culture at the NFL Scouting Combine.
- Jeff Legwold broke down the salary cap situation for the Denver Broncos after Adam Schefter's reported increase.
- And for the third consecutive year, the Broncos have raised ticket prices. I'm not opposed to this. A successful team that is putting on a show worth watching in most home games is worth it, in my opinion. The Oakland Raiders, on the other hand, should be lowering their ticket prices.