Our war room went crazy when Houston G.M. ten_fiver sent me a text that his Texans were going to select ohnny Manziel first overall. We knew it was possible, but all of our mocks had Jadeveon Clowney going first. If Clowney was able to fall past first overall, we hoped he could continue falling past the second pick, held by the Rams' 3amigosriseagain.
Unfortunately for us, St. Louis selected the top player on our board (Clowney), leaving us in a dilemma. Next on our Big Board was Khalil Mack, but if we weren't going to get Clowney, we wanted to get a quarterback. (The whole Chad Henne isn't working out and Shahid won't let me sign Tim Tebow.)
The top quarterback on our board was Blake Bortles, followed by Teddy Bridgewater and then Menziel. We felt that ten_fiver reached for Johnny, but that happens every year. There was a fierce discussion in our war room on Bortles vs. Bridgewater (our top scout had a mega man crush on Bridgewater and said he'd leave if we drafted Bortles third overall). Ultimately, we decided to lose a scout and gain a QB.
With the third overall pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars select...
Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
Bortles gives the impression of being an NFL-ready QB with great pocket-passer skills and uncanny awareness. He's an athletic guy-we feel that he and Ben Roethlisberger are very comparable-and he has all the intangibles we are looking for in a guy to lead our team.
Going forward, we believe Bortles gives Jacksonville the best chance to compete for a division title.
- Houston Texans (ten_fiver) - Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
- St. Louis Rams (3amigosriseagain) - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
- Jacksonville Jaguars (Jon Heath) - Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
- Cleveland Browns (Mad Mel)
- Oakland Raiders (Mancar)
- Atlanta Falcons (DeBroGermany)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Old Numero 7)
- Minnesota Vikings (WYOrangeCrush)
- Buffalo Bills (Arimaris)
- Detroit Lions (OregonBronco)
- Tennessee Titans (C-Pain)
- New York Giants (DROPSWITCH)
- St. Louis Rams (Nastyj)
- Chicago Bears (rstabenau)
- Pittsburgh Steelers (bethelbroncos)
- Dallas Cowboys (ElwayFanJ)
- Baltimore Ravens (mikebirty)
- New York Jets (FlyingJet12)
- Miami Dolphins (Broncobet)
- Arizona Cardinals (Braden.Montgomery)
- Green Bay Packers (pmmojo)
- Philadelphia Eagles (Joseph Mahoney)
- Kansas City Chiefs (blazezeal)
- Cincinnati Bengals (Alec474)
- San Diego Chargers (boltfanindenver)
- Cleveland Browns (Whorfin)
- New Orleans Saints (OrangeCrush19)
- Carolina Panthers (horatiohog)
- New England Patriots (crushsg)
- San Francisco 49ers (frankencrank)
- Denver Broncos (jmarlin8)
- Seattle Seahawks (rclooman)