One prospect who the Denver Broncos are showing interest in former Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert. Gilbert is a 6'0 202lb cornerback who has the potential to be a shut down corner in the NFL. According to CBSSports, Gilbert is ranked as the top rated corner in the 2014 NFL Draft, and the 10th overall prospect in the 2014 Draft.
Justin Gilbert enjoyed a productive four-year career at Oklahoma State. During his career he put up 182 tackles, 3.5 tackles for a loss, 12 interceptions for 180 yards and 2 touchdowns, 32 pass deflections and 2 forced fumbles.
Gilbert enjoyed a solid four-year career in college. Gilbert was a Second Team All-American, a First Team All-Big 12, and a Jim Thorpe Award finalist. Gilbert was also tied for 3rd in FBS with seven interceptions. Gilbert was the Defensive MVP of 2012 Fiesta Bowl as well.
Height: 6'0" Weight: 202lbs 40 Time: 4.37 seconds
Arm Length: 33 1/8" Hands: 8 5/8"
Bench Press: 20 reps Vertical Jump: 35 1/2 inches
Broad Jump: 10'6" 3 Cone Drill: 6.92 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle: N/A
- Size/Speed: Gilbert possesses good size(6'0 202lbs) and has elite speed(4.37 seconds). Also possesses great recovery speed. Gilbert has impressive acceleration to handle deep coverage responsibilities.
- Fluid Hips: Changes direction well, and flips his hips very well.
- Ball Hawk: He has 12 career interceptions. 7 of them came in 2013. Gilbert has soft hands and can make tough catches. Gilbert's patience, vision and acceleration make him a threat to go the distance whenever he has the ball.
- Light Feet: Gilbert has quick feet, and pops out of his breaks and close on the ball.
- Kick Return Skills: Gilbert averaged 26.3 yards per return, and returned 6 of them for touchdowns.
- Willing Tackler: Has 182 career tackles in college. Willing to lower his shoulders and take down ball carriers.
- Not Physical: You would expect a man of his size/athleticism to be more physical then he really is. Flashes physicality at times, but his technique makes him inconcsistent.
- Penalties: Can be grabby in tight coverage, and will need to clean up his coverage skills to avoid flags in the NFL.
- Too aggressive at times: He gets in trouble by biting on pump fakes by the QB, and double moves by receivers.
- Poor tackling technique: While he's a willing tackler he often lowers his shoulder and lunges instead of wrapping up ball carriers.
- Immaturity/Ego: Early in his college career he suffered from immaturity and ended up in his coaches doghouse.
- Mental Mistakes: Relies on his physical talent too often and struggles at times because he doesn't put in the extra work to be great.
Does Gilbert fit with the Broncos?:
Gilbert is big, strong and fast and would fit into the Broncos secondary well. Pairing Gilbert with Talib would give the Broncos two big athletic corners on the outside, and Chris Harris would man the slot. Kayvon Webster would serve as depth, and spell any of the three starters when needed.
Unfortunately this won't be happening unless the Broncos trade up into the top 15 of the draft. Gilbert figures to go somewhere within the first 15 picks in the draft.
There's a very slight chance that Gilbert could drop to us, but it's not very often 6'0 athletic corners who run in the 4.3's drop in the draft.