clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Bills TE Kevin Everett Suffers Spinal Cord Injury, Undergoing Surgery

UPDATE -- 11:16PM est -- According to's Chris Mortenson, Everett underwent 2 hours of surgery to stablize the injury. The doctors "felt good" about how the surgery went, though they won't know for 24-72 hours the full extent of the damage done. According to Mortenson --

Doctors in Buffalo have told members of the Bills that bone chips were removed during surgery. Everett is stabilized and is on a respirator in intensive care.

At 9:45 p.m., as he was leaving Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital, Bills' tight end Ryan Neufeld told Buffalo's WIVB-TV the surgery "went well as far as we can tell and he's recovering right now."

General manager Marv Levy said doctors informed the team that it's too early to determine the severity of the injury and that they will know more after monitoring the player overnight.

"Certainly, we feel the injury is serious, but I don't want to speculate, and that's what the doctors told us," Levy told The Associated Press. "They told us to wait to hear from them before making any speculative announcement."
More to come as it becomes available....

A scary moment that opened the 2nd half of the Broncos 15-14 win over the Buffalo Bills appears to be getting worse.  Bills Rookie TE Kevin Everett, who was injured after a helmet-to-helmet hit on Denver return-man Domenik Hixon, underwent emergency surgery Sunday Night to repair apparrent damage to his spinal cord.  Accorind to the story --
Kevin Everett had surgery Sunday evening, hours after the Buffalo Bills reserve tight end showed no signs of movement after sustaining a severe neck injury in the team's season opener against Denver.

Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold said he was informed by the team's medical staff the player went into surgery at a Buffalo hospital at about 8 p.m. Berchtold said he had no further information, and didn't know whether Everett had shown any signs of movement since he was driven off the field in an ambulance.

Coach Dick Jauron said immediately following the game that the player sustained a cervical spine injury, but wouldn't discuss the severity of the injury.

The player's agent Brian Overstreet was not immediately available for comment.

Everett fell immediately to the ground and showed no signs of consciousness after a helmet-to-helmet hit when he tackled Denver's Domenik Hixon during a kickoff to open the second half. Everett was placed on a backboard with his head and body immobilized, and carefully loaded into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

The game was delayed for about 15 minutes, and the Bills gathered at the sideline while doctors attended to the player.

Everett's injury cast a pall over the Bills following a season-opening 15-14 loss, with several players expressing concern about their teammate.

"It was real hard," cornerback Terrence McGee said. "I watched the whole thing and he never moved. ... It's real sad to see him go off on a stretcher, but we hope he's OK."

"It's real sad," added receiver Roscoe Parrish, who played with Everett at the University of Miami. "When something like that happens to a close friend of yours, and you know how much he loves football, it bothers you."

Denver players expressed concern, including kicker Jason Elam, who kicked the winning field goal as time ran out.

Before taking questions after the game, Elam said: "What we heard is not good, so for our whole team, our prayers go out to him."

Buffalo's third-round draft pick in 2005, Everett missed his entire rookie season with a knee injury, and spent most of his second season limited to special teams duty.

The Bills liked Everett's 6-foot-4 frame, and were counting on him to play a role in their passing attack this season.

Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of Kevin Everett and the entire Buffalo Bills family.