When Josh McDaniels was hired, one of the first moves he made was trading away the quarterback everyone thought he was hired to mentor. Obviously, people like Jay Cutler who are hard-headed and whimpy are not wanted on most teams, but it would have been nice to see what Denver could have been had they just stuck with Jay, but we will never know, and I am excited about the future that Tim Tebow brings. Let's look at some of the moves the Broncos have made since early 2009.
- QB Jay Cutler, 5th round pick (Johnny Knox, WR) traded to Chicago Bears for 2009 1st round pick (Robert Ayers), 2010 1st round pick (traded), 2009 3rd round pick (traded), and QB Kyle Orton
- Broncos trade 2010 1st round pick to Seattle Seahawks (Earl Thomas, S) for 2009 2nd round pick (CB Alphonso Smith)
- Broncos trade two 3rd round picks (G Kraig Urbik, WR Mike Wallace) to Pittsburgh Steelers for 2009 2nd round pick (TE Richard Quinn) and 2009 4th round pick (G Seth Olsen)
- Broncos trade up in 5th and 6th rounds of 2009 NFL Draft to select WR Kenny McKinley (deceased) and QB Tom Brandstater (Miami Dolphins)
- Broncos trade late round selections in 2010 Draft for OL Russ Hochstein, DL Le Kevin Smith
- Broncos trade WR Brandon Marshall to Miami Dolphins for 2010 2nd round pick and 2011 2nd round pick
- Broncos trade TE Tony Scheffler to Detroit Lions for 2010 5th round pick (CB Perrish Cox)
- Broncos trade 11th pick in 2010 Draft (OL Anthony Davis) from Chicago to San Francisco for 13th overall pick, 4th round pick
- Broncos trade 13th pick in 2010 Draft (DE Brandon Graham) from San Francisco to Philadelphia Eagles for 24th overall pick, two 3rd round picks (one traded, one used to draft WR Eric Decker)
- Broncos trade 24th pick (traded to Dallas, who selected WR Dez Bryant) and 4th round pick (TE Aaron Hernandez) to New England Patriots for 22nd overall pick (WR Demaryius Thomas)
- Broncos trade 2nd round pick from Miami Dolphins (OLB Sergio Kindle), 3rd round pick from Philadelphia (TE Ed Dickson) and 4th round pick (TE Dennis Pitta) for 25th overall pick (QB Tim Tebow)
- Broncos trade 2011 5th round pick for two 2010 7th round picks (CB Syd'Quan Thompson, DE Jammie Kirlew)
- Broncos trade RB Peyton Hillis, 2011 6th round pick, conditional 2012 draft pick for QB Brady Quinn
- Broncos trade conditional 2012 pick for LB Joe Mays
- Broncos trade 4th round pick in 2011 to New England Patriots for RB Laurence Maroney
- Broncos trade CB Alphonso Smith and 7th round pick to Detroit Lions for TE Dan Gronkowski and a 6th round pick
Bowers and Fairley have both been dominant this season, and both play different positions on the line. Bowers is a defensive end who has double digit sacks and more than 20 tackles for loss this season. In fact, he's second in the nation in both categories.
If I was general manager, this is how the draft would go if it were held today.
Rudolph is a huge target at 6'5" 260. He is coming off of injury, but will be ready for next year, and should he declare for the draft, he will be the unquestioned top prospect at the position. He brings the Broncos a red zone presence that they have not had in some time, and a cast of characters that includes Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, Brandon Lloyd, Kyle Rudolph, Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney, and whoever else is very appealing to me.