Tomorrow's Bronco game against the Detroit Lions has been labeled 'Orange Sunday,' so instead of Ted Nugent's recipe for Mountain Lion Steaks, I thought I would build on Sunday's theme. I've never tried Mountain Lion anyway and I'm guessing that it doesn't taste like chicken. Besides, this is a home game, we should have some Rocky Mountain Slow Elk to grill if we're going to do this right. I was able to find a yummy sauce and represent three of the four food groups. That's meat groups. You also should be able to make these at home or Tailgating at the game. Some of these require some marinating time though, so make your grocery list and get started.
This first offering is a sauce that can be used for any situation -- Punt, pass or kick.
- 1 large orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups veal stock or dark chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Makes: 1 1/3 cups
Now for the Rocky Mountain Slow Elk I referred to earlier. That is Coloradan for cows, a term I learned shortly after moving to the State. Beef, it's what's for dinner.
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (14 ounce) NY strip steak
- Orange Bourbon Glaze, recipe follows
- 2 Tablespoons diced shallots
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup bourbon
- 2 seedless oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups beef stock
Now we move to the other white meat. If you have invested in Pork Bellies, this is the recipe for you.
- 3 (3/4 to 1 pound) pork tenderloins
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
If neither of those two recipes rev up your salivation glands, here is one more play before you decide whether to punt or go for it.
- 2/3 cup dark rum
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 orange, thinly sliced into rounds, for garnish
Okay, there you have this weeks 'Orange Sunday' Tailgate Game Day food suggestions. Good eats and...