Today a popular topic has been about the rise in international games. This has been one of the hallmarks of Roger Goodell's tenure as he's tried to expand the NFL into new markets. Now the real questions that has people talking comes from whether fans like the idea of regular season games, and that is the topic of today's poll.
But before we get to the poll, a quick recap of international games by the NFL (I can't just let an article go by with a little history):
*Sources include Wikipedia, NFL International, NFLPA, and the US Board of Tourism*
- Before the year 2005, the NFL's only international games were held in Europe to help support the fledgling NFL Europe league. These were pre-season games, not the regular season games we see now. With the imminent collapse of the European League the NFL stopped having games overseas in 2005. There were also games played in Tokyo, Australia and other countries.
- From 2007 to the current 2012 season the NFL has played a regular season game in London at the Wembley Stadium.
- The Buffalo Bills from 2008 to 2012 currently play two games in Toronto, Canada. One preseason and one regular season game.
- The NFLPA conducted a survey of players on their feelings about overseas and international games and 73.7% would enjoying playing a game outside the United States.
- International regular season games are not added to the price for season ticket holders.
- Some NFL teams have requested not to go overseas or international for their games (Tampa Bay Buccaneers and ) while others have requested overseas or international games (New England Patriots, Arizona Cardinals and ).
So there is a bit of history on international games. To the polls!