Here is the latest news circulating in regards to the 2013 NFL Draft. . .
Broncos Draft Tidbits:
- Nebraska RB Rex Burkhead was the center of a question asked to the Denver Post's Jeff Legwold, who insists the Broncos are looking for a back that weighs in at over 215 pounds. Burkhead is close to that fit and offers good sizes as a runner as well as solid hands out of the backfield. Additionally, that continues to reinforce the idea that the Broncos are targeting prospects like Le'Veon Bell, Eddie Lacy, Christine Michael and Marcus Lattimore. No doubt that they high on the Broncos wish list.
- Despite drafting Brock Osweiler with their second round selection in 2011, the Denver Broncos have shown interest in this years quarterback class by bringing in Miami (OH) QB Zac Dysert and Arizona QB Matt Scott for private workouts. Both prospects figure to be mid-to-late round selections.
With John Elway calling the shots, there is no doubt the Broncos would like to have as much competition as possible for when Manning decides to retire. Don't be surprised to see if Denver approach their situation similarly to the Washington Redskins who safeguarded their selection of Robert Griffin III with fourth-rounder Kirk Cousins. However, they won't be using one of their top three selections on one.
- Additions to the Broncos linebacker and secondary rotations are also being considered. NFL Draft Insider Tony Pauline has stated the Broncos have met with Boise State CB Jamar Taylor who had an extremely impressive NFL combine and off-season workout session. New Mexico CB Freddy Young, Jr. also tweeted that he had a workout with the team.
A complete list of players the Broncos have reported interest in from the All-Star Games, NFL Combine and private workouts can be found here. As more reports break, we will keep you posted with any breaking updates and have our own workout tracker up shortly.
Lineman On The Rise:
- Various outlets, including ESPN's Chris Mortenson and others are reporting that Alabama RT D.J. Fluker is rocketing up draft boards and is a likely Top 15 selection in this years draft. Moreover, rumors are beginning to swirl that the Miami Dolphins are extremely interested in the prospect with their 12th overall selection.
- Radio excerpts and tidbits from the Philadelphia media have started to gather that the Philadelphia Dion Jordan and Star Lotulelei and instead focus their efforts on the offensive line.
The two names being reported are Eric Fisher, OT -- Central Michigan and Lane Johnson, OT -- Oklahoma. According to the Philadelphia Daily Observer, Fisher would be the selection if available at #4 -- but newly hired head coach is rumored to be infatuated with the Sooners Johnson, and would target him in a trade down if Fisher is not available.
may bypass West Virginia QB Geno Smith and other top prospect
- Offensive tackle isn't the only spot that is a hot commodity. The National Football Post is hearing that Akeem Spence, DT of Illinois could be vaulting himself into second round consideration after a good pro day. Teams also like his intangibles and schematic versatility. Additionally, all the health concerns regarding Utah DT Star Lotulelei heart seem to be evaporating and is likely to be one of the top ten players selected overall.
Miscellaneous Prospect Notes:
- Charlie Campbell is reporting that North Carolina has a pair of prospects in Jonathan Cooper -- OG and Giovanni Bernard -- RB who are NFL ready and received great praise from college coordinator John Stoop. Added to those thoughts are mixed reviews on Matt Elam, whom some Broncos faithful have been hoping for with their first overall selection. However, it seems that teams may not be valuing him as highly as draftniks on the internet are and is likely a second round selection.
Once again, thanks for reading and stay tuned for breaking news updates on all things regarding the NFL Draft on MHR!