Known for his hard-hitting style, Smith went on to play 14 seasons at Strong Safety for the Denver Broncos. He saw action in 184 career games and started 170 of them. His stats and accolades decorate a career that like most Broncos from the 80's and early 90's fail to garner national admiration.
- 6 time pro bowler (1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993)
- 4 time All-NFL (1985-86, 1989, 1993)
- Three time Super Bowl starter (21, 22, 24)
- Denver Broncos Most Inspirational Player (1992)
- 30 INT's, 17 Forced Fumbles, 1152 tackles
From 1989-1994, a span of six years, Dennis Smith combined with Steve Atwater to create the best safety tandem in the NFL. Combined they played in 9 pro bowls together. For a team that has had many great safeties throughout their history, those six years were something special. Eventually, Dennis passed the torch to Steve Atwater who would continue the line of great Denver Broncos Safeties.
Cool 49 Factoid:
Dennis Smith was inducted to the Denver Broncos Ring of Fame in 2001 and the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame in 2006.
Notable Broncos to wear #49:
Dennis Smith (1981-1994)
Current Bronco wearing #49: