The Broncos run game has not been very good this year, and look especially bad during the teams week 3 loss to the Seattle Seahawks. The Broncos totaled a meager 39 yards on 19 attempts, and ball carriers were hit behind the line of scrimmage 11 times.
Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase was asked how efficient the run game was against Seattle, he only had one word for reporters.
"Terrible. That would probably be the best answer for you."
Prater was a case of risk vs. reward
•Mile High ReportThe news that the Denver Broncos released Matt Prater Friday dropped like a bombshell for some, but we've mentioned this possibility several times since Prater's suspension came down. Let's break down the Broncos' reasoning, as far as we know it.
The Broncos run game hasn't looked great during the early portions of 2014. Starting running back Montee Ball has 165 yards on 49 attempts(3.4 YPC), and has been hit behind the line of scrimmage 20 of his 49 carries thus far. That's not the recipe for success for the Broncos.
When asked who's to blame for the Broncos running game woes, Gase pointed the finger at everyone, even himself.
"It’s a full group effort here. You can’t just point the finger at the line because there are plenty of times where the backs have been wrong, we’ve been on the wrong checks, the receivers have missed a block, we’ve fumbled. We’ve all taken our turns. There have been some bad calls along the way so we’re going to make some strides here coming up. Arizona’s going to be a tough team for us to run the ball against and that’s going to be a challenge just like last game out. That’s a good team versus the rush and you got to try to find your spots and make the most of it."
The Broncos have a tough test this weekend against the Arizona Cardinals defense. While they're banged up, they still have one of the better run defenses in the league. It will be interesting to see if Gase and the Broncos have made any strides in the running game during their week 4 bye.
- The New Orleans Saints have placed all-pro safety Jarius Byrd on the injured reserved list.
- New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith was fined 12K for cursing at a fan last weekend.
- Cardinals backup quarterback Drew Stanton gets the nod this weekend against the Broncos.
- Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick denies the reports that receiver Aaron Dobson was benched because he mouthed off to offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.
- The NFL will begin testing for Human Growth Hormones(HGH) on this upcoming Monday.
- Toxicology reports showed former Tennessee Titans kicker Rob Bironas had a blood alcohol content of 0.218 when he died in a one-car accident.