Blah Blah Blah
Yeah, that was my response to T.J. Ward's comments yesterday about wanting to make the Denver Broncos have the best defense in the league. It's not because I don't want that to happen, but it's because I'm tired of hearing the talk. Every single year we hear players talk about what they're going to go. Okay I get it, how about you show us that you can actually do it for a change.
It's about winning Super Bowl's for me right now. I cannot get excited about anything else now. However, it must please Peyton Manning to no end to play for a guy like John Elway who is willing to spend big money to put a team around Manning that is worthy of winning Super Bowls. Jim Irsay barely even tried half the time, but hey, his drive to win isn't quite like Elway's.
Mocking the Draft
The Huddle Report runs a scoring system of all the so-called mock draft guru's out there and SB Nation's own Dan Kadar ranked 4th on the list over a 5 year average. That's pretty impressive, given he is one spot ahead of Mel Kiper Jr.
Speaking of Mel Kiper Jr., he came out with his Mock 4.0 yesterday. Let's see who he mocked to the Denver Broncos.
Round 1, Pick 31
Jason Verrett, Cornerback, TCU
Analysis: Even with the addition of Aqib Talib, Denver needs to add depth in the secondary, and while you like to simply take the best player on the board with a sense of a reasonably early role when looking in Round 1, I think this fits both a need and Denver's timeline. The Broncos know the Peyton Manning window, and targeting clear needs should be a little more of a conversation. Verrett is a capable corner who can make it look easy in coverage, and will also look for the big hit. He gives Denver needed depth. (You can't have enough corners, especially when you expect to play with the lead often.)
Round 2, Pick 63
David Yankey, Offensive Gaurd, Stanford
Analysis: Yankey moves really well and fills a need for the Broncos after the departure of Zane Beadles. Again, you're more inclined to hit needs when the window is smaller.
The most surprising aspect of Kiper's mock was that Teddy Bridgewater fell all the way to the first pick of the second round. That seems extreme for what was a consensus first pick in the draft just a few months ago, which BRINGS FORTH THE FOLLOWING QUESTION, would you like it if Elway snatched Bridgewater up at the 31st position?
MHR Community Mock Draft
Whelp, if you are reading this and are just learning about Mile High Report's annual community mock draft then you are already too late to be a part of it. That said, it's a fun exercise and even though I didn't lock in my spot either, I look forward to participating in the debate!
If you are one of the lucky souls with a team, I strongly advise you check out Walter Football's mock draft database. That should give you insight into player strength and talent if you are not a huge college football fan.
One For The Road
I just couldn't help it. My co-worker posted another video of himself, although it isn't like the one I shared earlier this week. This time an instructional video on changing a tire. Another one of my co-workers filmed it and I pretty much laughed for the first 4 minutes of it, but since I know the two gentlemen, I suspect it won't be quite as funny to all of you. I hope so though!
- Peyton Manning speaks, we listen, then we go watch him talk 1-on-1 with Broncos TV guy, Chris Hall.
- Mike Klis says the Broncos are intrigued by Ryan Shazier's speed, but I doubt this is firsthand information or even secondhand for that matter. But hey, at least I got to read this article without an annoying popup demanding a subscription.
- @MaseDenver put out a solid post eyed which defensive linemen would be good fits in Denver from the 2014 NFL Draft class.
- Houston Texans fan/blogger, Brett Kollman, put out an excellent film study on Vanderbilt's Andre Hal and why he may just be the best corner in this years draft.
- Now for some NFL News, the New York Jets gobbled up overrated Chris Johnson, aka CJ.5K and the New York Giants picked up a headcase in Josh Freeman.
- Drinking and driving kills. I know this from personal experience/loss, so I have no sympathy for anyone busted for a DUI. Donovan McNabb, you are a loser. I'm also looking at you Matt Prater, so you better not slip.
- Chad Johnson, err, I mean Chad Ochocinco signs a contract to play in the Canadian Football League for the Montreal Alouettes. It boggles my mind how someone so dominate could just fade away into irrelevancy so quickly and completely. The dude was unstoppable once.