While we are very pleased with our pick, we did consider some options. We certainly took a long look at CJ Mosley, but cover corners are a lot harder to find than middle linebackers, and the player we chose can help the team in many ways. Ben could use another weapon, but we stayed away from Brandin Cooks because we drafted his teammate, Markus Wheaton, last year, and he did not make much of an impact.
Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
Wow, you should have seen the look on Dick LeBeau's face when Darqueze was still available. This is the perfect storm for the Steelers. Darqueze is a big, fast, physical, press corner who can tackle, blitz, and return kicks and punts. He is close to 6'0 200lbs and runs a 4.5 forty. Not only was he one of the highest rated players remaining at # 15, but he fits a need. Ike Taylor is 34 years old, so he and William Guy can teach Darqueze how to be a professional in his first year, and groom him for the future.
All considered, we are confident that we picked an impact, value player at a need position who will be with us for years to come. Welcome to Steeler Country D2!
Originally, the GM for this pick was bethelbroncos, but due to our tight timeline we had to sub him out. He got back to me with his pick minutes after christian filled in, and guess what? It was exactly the same. Bethel wrote:
Denard is one of the top CB prospects in this years draft, and when I saw he was still available I knew he had to the choice. First they have a decent secondary but it has a member who many Steeler fans believe will be his last year in Pittsburgh in Ike Taylor. They need a new person that can be their number one CB, and I feel, and some of their fans feel, like he can be that guy. They had definitive needs for CB, WR, S, LB and others but many believe that it will either be a CB or WR in the first round.
Pretty cool to see consensus from two separate GMs. Let's see if the Steelers actual GM would make the same choice, given the same options, come May 8th.
- Houston Texans (ten_fiver) - Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
- St. Louis Rams (3amigosriseagain) - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
- Jacksonville Jaguars (Jon Heath) - Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
- Cleveland Browns (Mad Mel) - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
- Oakland Raiders (Mancar) - Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
- Atlanta Falcons (DeBroGermany) - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Old Numero 7) - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
- Minnesota Vikings (WYOrangeCrush) - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
- Buffalo Bills (Arimaris) - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
- Detroit Lions (OregonBronco) - Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
- Tennessee Titans (C-Pain) - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
- New York Giants (DROPSWITCH) - Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
- St. Louis Rams (Nastyj) - Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
- Chicago Bears (rstabenau) - S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, UCLA
- Pittsburgh Steelers (bethelbroncos) - CB Darqueze Denard, Michigan State
- Dallas Cowboys (ElwayFanJ)
- Baltimore Ravens (mikebirty)
- New York Jets (FlyingJet12)
- Miami Dolphins (Broncobet)
- Arizona Cardinals (Braden.Montgomery)
- Green Bay Packers (pmmojo)
- Philadelphia Eagles (Joseph Mahoney)
- Kansas City Chiefs (blazezeal)
- Cincinnati Bengals (Alec474)
- San Diego Chargers (boltfanindenver)
- Cleveland Browns (Whorfin)
- New Orleans Saints (OrangeCrush19)
- Carolina Panthers (horatiohog)
- New England Patriots (crushsg)
- San Francisco 49ers (frankencrank)
- Denver Broncos (jmarlin8)
- Seattle Seahawks (rclooman)