Initially, I attempted to think outside the box. The majority thought process is the Chiefs will go wide receiver at #23, but with a bevy of exciting wide receiver prospects declaring for this year's draft, my first instinct was to go a different direction with the Chief's first round pick, and look to fill the need in later rounds.
Surely a great receiver prospect will be available in the second round when Kansas City selects next. I should look at the offensive line and tight end positions where they also need help.
However, the Chiefs have no second round pick, as they traded it to San Fransisco for Alex Smith. So, they do not pick again until #87. Ultimately, if Odell Beckham Jr. is still on the board, it would be very difficult to pass up on such a talented prospect at a position of need.
With the 23rd overall pick in the 2014 Mile High Report Community Mock Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select...
Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
Beckham is strong across the board. He is a great athlete, with the ability to accelerate off the line and get up to top speed quickly. He can beat a defender deep with good straight line speed (4.38 40) and has great ability to get in and out of cuts smoothly. As he develops, Beckham should master the full route tree and continue to improve his already reliable catching hands. In addition, Beckham should make an immediate impact as a return man on special teams, where he has game breaking ability.
While he is slightly undersized (5-11), smaller receivers are gaining traction in the NFL (right Wes Welker and Tavon Austin?). The bottom line is that Beckham has all the attributes needed to succeed in the NFL as a successful wide receiver and returner. He fills a hole on Kansas City's roster; he's so good to pass to, he is ultimately too good to pass on.
- Houston Texans (ten_fiver) - Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
- St. Louis Rams (3amigosriseagain) - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
- Jacksonville Jaguars (Jon Heath) - Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
- Cleveland Browns (Mad Mel) - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
- Oakland Raiders (Mancar) - Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
- Atlanta Falcons (DeBroGermany) - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Old Numero 7) - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
- Minnesota Vikings (WYOrangeCrush) - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
- Buffalo Bills (Arimaris) - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
- Detroit Lions (OregonBronco) - Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
- Tennessee Titans (C-Pain) - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
- New York Giants (DROPSWITCH) - Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
- St. Louis Rams (Nastyj) - Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
- Chicago Bears (rstabenau) - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, UCLA
- Pittsburgh Steelers (christiandomis) - Darqueze Denard, CB Michigan State
- Dallas Cowboys (ElwayFanJ) - Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
- Baltimore Ravens (mikebirty) - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
- New York Jets (FlyingJet12) - Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
- Miami Dolphins (@CPru37t) - Zack Martin, T/G, Notre Dame
- Arizona Cardinals (Braden.Montgomery) - Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
- Green Bay Packers (pmmojo) - Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
- Philadelphia Eagles (Joseph Mahoney) - Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
- Kansas City Chiefs (blazezeal) - Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
- Cincinnati Bengals (Alec474)
- San Diego Chargers (boltfanindenver)
- Cleveland Browns (Whorfin)
- New Orleans Saints (OrangeCrush19)
- Carolina Panthers (horatiohog)
- New England Patriots (crushsg)
- San Francisco 49ers (frankencrank)
- Denver Broncos (jmarlin8)
- Seattle Seahawks (rclooman)