Given the way the board has fallen to this point, the Bengals will feel very comfortable filling one of their biggest needs at corner, with Terence Newman entering his age 36 season, Adam Jones his age 31 season, and Leon Hall hitting 3 decades. Newman is no lock to make the roster, Jones underperformed last year, and Hall, while a fantastic player when healthy, is coming off back-to-back Achilles tendon injuries. Meanwhile, 2012 first-round pick Dre Kirkpatrick has disappointed thus far and needs to prove himself this season.
The Bengals need an infusion of talent and youth to this position group, and as luck would have it, Jason Verrett, Kyle Fuller, and Bradley Roby are all still available.
With the 24th overall pick in the Mile High Report Community Mock Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select...
Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
Given Hall's success for Cincinnati at 5'11 and 195lbs, it only seems natural that we would go for possibly the best cover corner in the draft: Jason Verrett of TCU, despite his size concerns at 5'10 and 189 lbs. Verrett showed his elite athleticism at the combine ranking among the top corners in the 40-yard dash (4.38 seconds), 3-cone drill (6.69), short shuttle (4.00) vertical jump (39 inches), and broad jump (10 feet, 8 inches).
Verrett possesses fluid hips, easily able to turn and adjust his frame. His excellent burst and flexibility allow him to seamlessly redirect his footwork to mirror receivers in space. He routinely covered the number 1 receiver during his time at TCU. His instincts allow him to come off his man to make a play, aggressively attacking the football in mid air and using his excellent ballskills and confidence to undercut routes and finish with the interception. Smart and sound with his cover assignments, he is always alert and ready to make a play if quarterbacks test him. In run support, he will hold his ground at the point of attack and does not shy away from contact. In addition, he consistently showed his prowess as a special teams player, making ‘wow' plays in coverage units, including a blocked field goal in 2012. He is an intelligent and heady player with high football character. Finally, he was very productive as a three-year starter, combining for 43 passes defended and nine interceptions in college.
TL;DR- He is a smart football player who uses his athleticism and instincts as a ballhawk and shut down receivers often 4 or more inches taller. He will make an immediate impact as a rookie and will improve Cincinnati's secondary considerably.
- Houston Texans (ten_fiver) - Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
- St. Louis Rams (3amigosriseagain) - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
- Jacksonville Jaguars (Jon Heath) - Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
- Cleveland Browns (Mad Mel) - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
- Oakland Raiders (Mancar) - Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
- Atlanta Falcons (DeBroGermany) - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Old Numero 7) - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
- Minnesota Vikings (WYOrangeCrush) - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
- Buffalo Bills (Arimaris) - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
- Detroit Lions (OregonBronco) - Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
- Tennessee Titans (C-Pain) - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
- New York Giants (DROPSWITCH) - Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
- St. Louis Rams (Nastyj) - Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
- Chicago Bears (rstabenau) - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, UCLA
- Pittsburgh Steelers (christiandomis) - Darqueze Denard, CB Michigan State
- Dallas Cowboys (ElwayFanJ) - Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
- Baltimore Ravens (mikebirty) - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
- New York Jets (FlyingJet12) - Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
- Miami Dolphins (@CPru37t) - Zack Martin, T/G, Notre Dame
- Arizona Cardinals (Braden.Montgomery) - Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
- Green Bay Packers (pmmojo) - Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
- Philadelphia Eagles (Joseph Mahoney) - Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
- Kansas City Chiefs (blazezeal) - Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
- Cincinnati Bengals (Alec474) - Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
- San Diego Chargers (boltfanindenver) - Sat May 3rd
- Cleveland Browns (Whorfin) - Sun May 4th
- New Orleans Saints (OrangeCrush19) - Mon May 5th
- Carolina Panthers (horatiohog) - Mon May 5th
- New England Patriots (crushsg) - Tue May 6th
- San Francisco 49ers (frankencrank) - Tue May 6th
- Denver Broncos (jmarlin8) - Wed May 7th
- Seattle Seahawks (rclooman) - Wed May 7th