The Browns need a quarterback to take them into the future. The recent signings of Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen to compete with Brian Hoyer demonstrate their desperation; however, none of these quarterbacks have the skills necessary to lift the Browns out of the cellar. Brian Hoyer threw three interceptions and five touchdowns in three games last season, managing a QBR of 82.1, and neither of the two new signings have started a game in years. After selecting incredibly talented receiver, Sammy Watkins with the fourth overall pick, providing the team with a scary tandem of wide-outs, the Browns must select a quarterback to throw to Watkins and fellow Browns receiver, Josh Gordon.
With the 26th overall pick in the 2014 Mile High Report Community Mock Draft, the Cleveland Browns select...
Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
Writes Whorfin: "Derek Carr is the best remaining quarterback in this draft. Carr racked up impressive stats in Fresno State's spread offense and screen-heavy passing game, albeit against porous defenses. In 2013, he threw for 5,082 yards and 50 touchdowns, had a 69% completion rate and only 8 interceptions. His worst game came in the final game of his college career, against USC, where Carr struggled to get the ball downfield.
Carr is pocket passer with a good feel for pressure and the ability to roll out and throw on the run. His efficiency drops with pressure, completing 31% when hurried or hit. That being said, it will still be an improvement over Hoyer's completion percentage. The real issue is whether or not OC Kyle Shanahan, son of former Broncos HC Mike Shanahan, will adjust his system to take advantage of Carr's skills and pocket presence.
The signing of two "mobile" QBs seems to indicate otherwise. Since I am Cleveland's GM today, I will take this opportunity to also fire Kyle Shanahan, thus solving that problem."
Firing Shanahan, is extremely unlikely, and equally controversial; however, the selection of Derek Carr is most certainly a smart choice in this position. The New Orleans Saints are now on the clock...
- Houston Texans (ten_fiver) - Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
- St. Louis Rams (3amigosriseagain) - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
- Jacksonville Jaguars (Jon Heath) - Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
- Cleveland Browns (Mad Mel) - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
- Oakland Raiders (Mancar) - Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
- Atlanta Falcons (DeBroGermany) - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Old Numero 7) - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
- Minnesota Vikings (WYOrangeCrush) - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
- Buffalo Bills (Arimaris) - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
- Detroit Lions (OregonBronco) - Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
- Tennessee Titans (C-Pain) - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
- New York Giants (DROPSWITCH) - Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
- St. Louis Rams (Nastyj) - Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
- Chicago Bears (rstabenau) - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, UCLA
- Pittsburgh Steelers (christiandomis) - Darqueze Denard, CB Michigan State
- Dallas Cowboys (ElwayFanJ) - Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
- Baltimore Ravens (mikebirty) - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
- New York Jets (FlyingJet12) - Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
- Miami Dolphins (@CPru37t) - Zack Martin, T/G, Notre Dame
- Arizona Cardinals (Braden.Montgomery) - Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
- Green Bay Packers (pmmojo) - Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
- Philadelphia Eagles (Joseph Mahoney) - Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
- Kansas City Chiefs (blazezeal) - Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
- Cincinnati Bengals (Alec474) - Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
- San Diego Chargers (boltfanindenver) - Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
- Cleveland Browns (Whorfin) - Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
- New Orleans Saints (OrangeCrush19)
- Carolina Panthers (horatiohog)
- New England Patriots (crushsg)
- San Francisco 49ers (frankencrank)
- Denver Broncos (jmarlin8)
- Seattle Seahawks (rclooman)