NFL Network finished up their top 100 players in 2014 special last night, and our Quarterback Peyton Manning was ranked as the number one player in the NFL. This is really no big surprise considering Manning is coming off the best season a Quarterback has ever had. Manning shattered multiple NFL records while leading the Broncos to the Super Bowl.
Joining Manning is wide receiver Demaryius Thomas at 49, defensive end DeMarcus Ware at 56, wide receiver Wes Welker at 73, linebacker Von Miller at 76, cornerback Aqib Talib at 79, safety T.J Ward at 82, and guard Louis Vasquez at 97.
Every year the NFL holds a Supplemental Draft which includes a handful of prospects each year that are eligible to be drafted. Well this years Supplemental Draft is slated to happen today, and there's four players eligible to be drafted. Lets take a look at them, and if they have any potential to be drafted by the Broncos.
1. Wide Receiver/Running Back Chase Clayton, New Mexico, 6'2 204lbs:
Clayton was ruled academically ineligible in 2013 and did not play at all in 2013. Clayton did not have a ton of success in his college career. During his three years at New Mexico he only totaled 209 yards rushing on 32 attempts(a very good 6.5 YPC), and added 38 receptions for 259 yards.
It's very unlikely that he'll be drafted.
2. Defensive Tackle LaKendrick Ross, Virginia-Lynchburg, 6'5 365lbs:
Ross is one big dude. Ross is a very raw prospect who lacks almost no hand technique or understanding of leverage. He has enough raw tools to generate some interest but it's doubtful he'll be taken today.
3. Running Back Traylon Shead, Texas, 6'2 230lb:
Shead has elite size and 6'3 230, but he only has one speed and only average acceleration and explosiveness. Shead is a upright runner who really doesn't make anyone miss. He's more of run through you type of guy instead of a make you miss type of guy. Shead can pass protect, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. That right there makes me think the Broncos could have some interest in Shead. I expect Shead to be taken today with a late round pick.
4. Linebacker Darius Lipford, North Carolina, 6'4 245lbs:
Lipford is a fluid and explosive athlete who has below average instincts. His teammates gave him the nickname "the freak" because of his size and athlectism, but he never lived up to that nickname on the field. In 2013 Lipford totaled six tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks among his 20 total tackles.
I think he could interest the Broncos because of their lack of linebacker depth, but I'd be surprised if they took a look at him.
- Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson is "hopeful" that he will join the Texans once Training Camp starts up in a few weeks.
- Some Cleveland Browns players want nothing to do with suspended wide receiver Josh Gordon. Gordon's days in Cleveland have to be numbered.
- Speaking of suspensions, Redskins safety Tanard Jackson has been suspended indefinitely for failing another drug test. This will be Jacksons 4th suspension, and it appears very unlikely that he'll play in the NFL ever again.
- Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman expressed his dislike for 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree. It will be fun watching these two teams beat up on each other twice this season.
- Vikings Wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson belives he'll be a top five playmaker in 2014. He sure is talented enough to do that.