Defensive Tackle Marvin Austin has had a rocky start his to NFL Career. The former second round pick of the New York Giants missed his entire rookie year with a torn pectoral muscle. Austin was released by the Giants and has had short stints with the Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys. On May 5th the Denver Broncos signed the talented defensive tackle to a one year deal.
I, at the time, thought this was a perfect fit for Austin. The Broncos recently have had very good success at turning around the careers of some defensive tackles who were considered disappointments at the time. Brodrick Bunkley had a breakout year for the Broncos, and this past year, Terrence "Pot Roast" Knighton turned into a dominant defensive tackle in the league. Now the Broncos coaching staff turn its sights to the very talented Marvin Austin.
The results early on show that Austin could be the next "bust" defensive tackle to find success in the Rocky Mountains.
Marvin Austin dominated in one-on-one work -- again. He explodes off the snap, quickly forcing the opposing guard back on his heels.— Andrew Mason (@MaseDenver) July 28, 2014
Austin has found himself in Andrew Mason's notes after every practice.
With defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson still only participating on a limited basis, Austin has been getting plenty of reps with the second team defense, and even saw sometime with the first team defense in Wednesday's practice.
Austin gets some work w/ top D as DTs are heavily rotated. Meant Knighton/Vickerson vs. 2nd OL for a play. No chance for Painter. Easy sack.— Andrew Mason (@MaseDenver) July 30, 2014
Let's hope Austin can keep up his dominance, and most importantly stay healthy.
- ESPN's Jeff Legwold says the Broncos still have some questions that need to be answered before they kickoff the season against the Indianapolis Colts.
- The Denver Broncos faithful who showed up the practice at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on Wednesday had to deal with the elements, and they embraced that challenge.
- Andrew Mason gives you his day six quick hits. Who stood out in Wednesday's practice.
- The rain did not dampen cornerback Chris Harris's return to the field. The talented cornerback came off the PUP list on Tuesday.
- Defensive End DeMarcus Ware missed another practice. It sounds like the Broncos are just playing it safe with the veteran.
- Read Bronco Mike's and Kaptain Kirks Day six Training Camp reports! They do an excellent job detailing everything that went on at the practice.
- The Cowboy's and offensive tackle Tyron Smith have agreed to a eight-year, $98M deal on Wednesday.
- Former Denver Broncos safety Jim Leonhard has signed with the Cleveland Browns.
- Here's a prediction. Receiver Brandon Marshall says that teammate Jay Cutler could be the MVP in 2014.
- Quarterback Andy Dalton expects to get a deal done with the Bengals.
- The Buffalo Bills and running back Fred Jackson agree on a 1 year extension.
- Buffalo Bills linebacker Nigel Bradham has been suspended four games for violating the leagues drug policy.
- Green Bay Packers have extended GM Ted Thompson with a multi-year deal.