Heading into Training Camp two positions on the Broncos really intrigued me. Those positions being running back and linebacker. In my opinion those two positions were the two biggest question marks on the team. Both positions potentially lacked depth, and had more questions than answers.
Now the Broncos depth at those positions is being tested in the early parts of the 2014 season. First starting running back Montee Ball had an appendectomy, backup running back C.J Anderson suffered a concussion and Danny Trevathan fractured his shin. All three of these guys are expected to miss an extended period of time, and depth behind is being tested.
So who's stepping up in their place?
At running back Ronnie Hillman is your starter currently. Hillman is the "veteran" of the group, and he as the most to lose as well. Hillman did show some improvement in the preseason opener and he'll need to continue that this weekend. Behind Hillman are undrafted rookies Juwan Thompson, Kapri Bibbs and Brennan Clay. Thompson is receiving some first team reps this week, so we'll see how he fairs against better talent. Otherwise it's still too early to judge this group.
Even if Ball and Anderson were healthy I would still be concerned about the depth at running back. I am hopeful, but as of right now we still have more questions then answers at running back.
At linebacker it appears that linebacker Brandon Marshall will get the first crack at replacing Danny Trevathan. However I would expect rookies Lamin Barrow and Corey Nelson to get a look as well.
Much like the running back position we still have more questions than answers.
This is the best time of the year to be answering these questions though. It will be interesting to see how this group fairs in the days and weeks ahead.
Have a morning cartoon from Drew Litton:
Denver Broncos GM John Elway takes part in the ice bucket challenge:
- Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch has been cleared in assault, property damage complaint.
- Buffalo Bills GM says that no one has sent in trade offers for running back C.J Spiller despite trade rumors surrounding the explosive running back.
- Former Super Bowl hero Mario Manningham is fighting for a roster spot on the Giants.
- Eagles receiver Jeremy Maclin has been "toasting" New England Patriots cornerback Darrelle Revis during the teams joint practices.
- Defensive Tackle Nick Fairley's weight gain is the cause of his declining role on the Lions defense.