John Elway spoke yesterday and has some interesting things to say about last years third round pick Michael Schofield.
Elway on Schofield: "We actually went back and looked at what he did in the preseason, We’re excited about what he did in the preseason.''— Jeff Legwold (@Jeff_Legwold) March 11, 2015
More Elway on Schofield: "He’s a talented kid and we have expectations.''— Jeff Legwold (@Jeff_Legwold) March 11, 2015
With the Denver Broncos limited cap/cash, they are going to have to rely on internal options to replace Orlando Franklin at left guard, and potentially at center and right tackle. That means tackle/guard Michael Schofield, guard Ben Garland, and center Matt Paradis all need to step up in 2015.
This comes down to coaching. It's part of the reason why John Fox isn't coaching the Broncos in 2015. Gary Kubiak, Rick Dennison and the rest of the Broncos offensive coaches will need to coach up the young talent on the offensive line. There might be one or two veteran signings to fill a spot or two, but the rest will come down to the development of Schofield, Paradis, and whoever they draft this April.
We haven't even talked about Cody Latimer yet.
Elway expects 4 compensatory picks:
The NFL gives out compensatory picks every offseason, and Denver Broncos General Manager expects the Broncos to get four more draft picks for this April's NFL Draft. The Broncos currently have six draft picks, and these four compensatory picks will give the Broncos 10.
Elway expects the Broncos to get four compensatory picks in the draft.— Andrew Mason (@MaseDenver) March 11, 2015
Back in January OverTheCap.com projected the compensatory picks for all 32 teams, and they also had the Broncos receiving four extra draft picks.
Here's what they projected the Broncos to receive.
- 4th - Zane Beadles
- 6th - Knowshon Moreno
- 6th - Shaun Phillips
- 7th - Robert Ayers
These are only guesstimates, but these four picks would helpful for the Broncos.
- Suh officially signs his record deal with the Miami Dolphins.
- Andre Johnson officially signs a three-year, $21M contract with the Indianapolis Colts.
- Running back Ryan Matthews signed a three-year, $12 million dollar contract with the Eagles.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have signed linebacker Bruce Carter
- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds has decided to retire.
- Running back C.J. Spiller is expected to visit the New Orleans Saints.
- The New York Giants have extended Head Coach Tom Coughlin through 2016.
- The New England Patriots have signed linebacker Jabaal Sheard to a two-year deal.
- The Arizona Cardinals have signed defensive lineman Cory Redding.
- Chicago Bears GM says that quarterback Jay Cutler is his starter.
- Safety Antrel Rolle has signed with the Chicago Bears.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have released last season's big free agent signings Anthony Collins and Michael Johnson.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers also released safety Dashon Goldson.
- DeMarco Murray is flying to Philly to meet with the Eagles.
- The New York Jets have traded for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.
- Eagles Head Coach Chip Kelly said that he is not drafting quarterback Marcus Mariota.