clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Dallas police suspend investigation involving Broncos' Aqib Talib

What didn't seem like much to begin with has turned out to be just that. Aqib Talib is officially no longer under investigation as the investigation has been suspended for lack of evidence.

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The Dallas Police Department has suspended its investigation of an altercation outside Club Luxx that reportedly had involved Denver Broncos' cornerback Aqib Talib. Police cite lack of evidence as the reason for suspending.

DPD was investigating an incident labeled an aggravated assault that took place April 8 around 2 a.m. outside the downtown nightclub. The police department had never named Talib in the case, but Dallas TV station WFAA had reported him as one of the suspects.

Earlier today, DPD issued a brief statement reiterating its investigation and including:

Based on these interviews and the evidence currently available, this case has been suspended pending further leads.

Rebecca Lopez had initially reported that police talked to Aqib Talib and his brother about the altercation outside Luxx Nightclub and also that police had towed cars believed to belong to Talib for the investigation. Lopez also reported that the Talib brothers were questioned by police.

The Dallas Police Department eventually issued a statement at 12:42 p.m. April 8 with some details of the events but no names identified. They never confirmed Aqib Talib was involved. Officials reiterated with the release of the report that this was an ongoing investigation and detectives were working to identify and interview all those involved.

Hanney Kamal, general manager of the Luxx Nightclub, told The Dallas Morning News later on April 8 that he was at the club during the altercation and that it was nothing more than "a verbal altercation."

Incident in review: According to Melinda Gutierrez of the Dallas police, officers responded to a call at 2:09 a.m. April 8 for "an active shooter" who was one of three black males being escorted out of the bar for causing a disturbance inside.

The complainant reportedly tried to help security escort the three men outside when one of the three attempted to punch the employee, the police report said. The complainant told police he tried to defend himself by kicking one of the men and then reported that one of the men pointed a gun at him.

According to the police report, the complainant took cover inside the bar. Witnesses outside reported that one male outside fired a round into the air before all involved left.

Aqib Talib, 29, was arrested in 2009 for simple battery and resisting arrest without violence. In another incident, he was supposed to stand trial in 2012 for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, but the charges were dropped for lack of a credible witness.