One prospect who the Denver Broncos might show interest in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft is former UCLA Bruin linebacker/edge rusher Owamagbe Odighizuwa. He is a 6'3", 267lb edge rusher who is considered to be one of the top edge rushers in this year's NFL Draft. Odighizuwa is rated as the 29th overall prospect according to CBS Sports and is ranked as the 4th best defensive end in this years NFL Draft.
Odighizuwa was elected as second-team All-Pac-12 in 2014. Hw tied for the team lead with 11.5 tackles for loss and finishing second on team with 6 sacks. During his four-year career at UCLA, he totaled 136 tackles, 24.5 tackles for a loss, 12.5 sacks, and 8 pass deflections.
Edge Rusher, Senior, UCLA
Height: 6'3" Weight: 267lbs 40 time: 4.62 seconds(Top performer at the NFL Combine)
Arm Length: 33 3/4" Hands: 11"
Bench Press: 25 reps Vertical Jump: 39 inches(Top performer at the NFL Combine)
Broad Jump: 127.00(Top performer at the NFL Combine) 3 Cone Drill: 7.36 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.19 seconds(Top performer at the NFL Combine) 60 Yard Shuttle: 11.75 seconds (Top performer ath the NFL Combine)
Owamagbe Odighizuwa vs USC (2014)
- He's huge: Has a shredded physique with very little body fat.
- Has a powerful frame with long arms.
- Strong at the point of attack. Anchors well because of his strong lower half.
- Strong run defender. Sets the edge well and plugs up running lanes. Uses his strength and power to take on double teams freeing up other edge rushers.
- Non-stop motor. He consistently disrupts plays in both the running and passing game. Relentless and competitive.
- Gets of the snap quickly with good power.
- Has the potential to convert speed into power.
- Has the natural bend and athleticism to get by tackles
- He has very active hands with great arm extension(33 3/4" arms).
- Versatile player. Played in a 4-3 and 3-4 defense while at UCLA.
- Combines power and speed to get by tackles and has good enough balance and agility to spin back inside.
- Has a powerful bull rush move.
- Injury history: Has dealt with two surgeries on his hip and missed all of 2013 because of it. Medicals will be huge here.
- Limited pass rush moves. Will need to add more moves to his arsenal to be effective in the NFL.
- One year wonder. Only really has one year of starting time and success.
- Doesn't have that extra gear that some edge rushers have. Wins with power and technique.
- Struggles when asked to cover in open space.
- Pronouncing and spelling his name is very difficult.
Does Owamagbe Odighizuwa fit with the Broncos?:
I think he could.
The Broncos have Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware at their edge linebacker positions. So we are not in a desperate need for an edge rusher but could be in the near future. Von Miller will be one expensive free agent this upcoming offseason, and Ware is probably playing his final season in Orange and Blue. I am also concerned about the Broncos depth at edge rusher. Lerentee McCray is average at best, and Quanterus Smith failed to impress this past season.
Odighizuwa would come in and give the Broncos solid depth and a rotational player that could start day one and help by setting the edge in the run game. This would allow DeMarcus Ware to be a "situational pass rusher" which should help him stay fresh down the stretch for the Broncos.
One player who I think he compares to is Baltimore Ravens linebacker Courtney Upshaw. A strong/powerful player who is a solid run defender who can also get after the passer.
I'm high on this guy. His average stat line doesn't tell the entire story. He is all over the field and he is consistently making the play or doing something to allow someone else to make the play. I think he would pair perfectly with Von Miller, and give the Broncos two solid edge guys for year's to come. I would not be upset if the Broncos spent a first round selection on this guy. Of course this all changes if his medicals come back full of red flags. If not, do it Elway!
Plus, hearing Rodger Goodell trying to pronounce his name could be fun.