This time last year this week would have been "draft week." Instead we will see that event about a month later. Here's some of what we know from previous Elway drafts.
- The trade for C Gino Gradkowski could make it easier for Broncos to chase elusive "BPA"
- Have used higher picks predominantly on college players with clean records (Bradley Roby an exception).
- These higher picks tend to be college "work-horses," in other words they have lots of starting time and production (Brock Osweiler an exception).
- Have used top picks primarily on defense, 1st: Von Miller, Sylvester Williams, Bradley Roby 2nd: Rahim Moore, Derek Wolfe.
- Not afraid to take a flyer on injured players (Nate Irving, Omar Bolden).
- Will use mid-round picks on athletes with potential
- More likely to trade down than trade up, but aggressive when targeting a trade up (Hillman, Latimer).
Of course these are just broad generalizations, but if you've noticed anything else, feel free to discuss them in our comments section.
Demaryius Thomas sees balance for Broncos offense - NFL.com
Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas has a feeling that his sixth season in Denver will find new balance on offense with new head coach Gary Kubiak. Will the Broncos have a balanced plan of attack in 2015?
Antonio Smith's roles: nickel pass rush, leadership
The Broncos' newest defensive lineman will use his familiarity with the defensive coaches and the scheme.
Patrick Peterson discloses that he’s diabetic | ProFootballTalk
At the Scouting Combine, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told PFT Live that cornerback Patrick Peterson battled blood sugar issues during the 2014 season, and that Peters had "borderline" diabetes. Peterson has now said that his condition goes beyond any borderline.
NFL won’t choose an L.A. project any time soon | ProFootballTalk
As Carson and Inglewood continue to race for the right to become the next location of a Los Angeles-area NFL stadium, the NFL won't be declaring a winner for a while.
Tennessee Titans open to trading NFL draft's No. 2 overall pick - NFL.com
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said it would take a lot in order for the Tennessee Titans to trade the No. 2 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, but that the team is open to dealing it.
Michael Crabtree meets with Oakland Raiders - NFL.com
Michael Crabtree's stock has plummeted on the open market, but the free-agent wide receiver met with the Raiders. Will he catch on in Oakland?
Joe Thomas: Johnny Manziel lost a lot of trust in 2014 - NFL.com
Johnny Manziel will have to do more than learn a new playbook once he rejoins the Browns this offseason. Offensive tackle Joe Thomas says the quarterback lost a lot of his teammates' trust last season.